OT Ford celebrates 10,000,000 mustangs

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT Ford celebrates 10,000,000 mustangs
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 08:47 am:

Watching Fox and Friends I heard them announce their plaza is loaded with mustangs to celebrate. They only have to sell 5,000,000 more

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 09:23 am:

It took Ford 54 years to sell two-thirds as many Mustangs as it sold Model Ts in 18.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JOHN BEVARDOS on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 09:52 am:

Ive got my grandmas 64 1/2, one of the first .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 11:41 am:

Did they paint 10 millionth on it like they did the milestones before it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 11:57 am:

Yes they did!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 12:03 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 12:12 pm:

I have a '64 1/2 drop top.
My wife has a '67 coupe.
Ts and Mustangs seem go together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JOHN BEVARDOS on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 12:33 pm:

Steve,
couldn't agree more !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 01:41 pm:

My cousin has a '66 ragtop. It's about a 98-point car and has been in his family since new. He drove it to his high school senior prom. His son drove it to his senior prom. There are some cars that are not for sale regardless of price; this is one of them. My cousin gave his son a set of keys to it for his 21st birthday. The boy said that it was the greatest present that he had ever received. If you think about it, it probably was.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 03:37 pm:

The T evolved over 15 million, but was basically the same car throughout. Mustang has had several completely different generations.

Trivia: What model name has had the longest run? Started in 1935. Still in production in its 11th generation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 03:41 pm:

Chris: You are probably referring to the Chevy Suburban introduced in 1935.
Oh, and there are no 1964 1/2 Mustangs... They all were built with 1965 VINs. 1964 1/2 is a collector's term. Of course, I have a 1972 1/2 DeTomaso Pantera :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 03:55 pm:

Yup, Suburban is right - and I'd love to have a Pantera! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 08:11 pm:

That's about as many as there are in BLM holding pens across the west, being fed on your tax dollars. The live, four-footed mustangs are a problem that's nothing to celebrate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan Long Western Australia on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 08:50 pm:

It seems that having a classic Mustang parked next to your
Model T is a common theme in Australia too

I have a 66 Convertible (Californian import) sharing the garage
with the 1910 and 1926 Ts!

Alan in Western Australia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 09:55 pm:

I thought Ford called them 64-1/2's as a marketing tool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 10:48 pm:

This is the VIN of the first Mustang.
5F08F100001
5 denotes the year model.
Assembly plant
Code Assembly plant
F Dearborn, Michigan
R San Jose, California
T Metuchen, New Jersey
Body Code Body Style
07 Hardtop
08 Convertible
09 Fastback

Engine Code Engine Type
A V8 289 CID 4V
C V8 289 CID 2V
D V8 289 CID 4V
F V8 260 CID 2V
K V8 289 CID 4V High Perf
T I6 200 CID 1V
U I6 170 CID 1V
I seem to remember Ford using half years for marketing. I was only 14 in April 65 so I don't know for sure.
I do remember the marketing slogan
"A million Mustangers can't be wrong"
I learned to drive in 1966 in my Dad's 65 Mustang. I had a great Dad
He passed away in 2015. A year ago he bought me a 2017 Mustang. Thanks Dad

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 08:50 am:

Where's the "Like" button? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 09:26 am:

Kirk,I had a 66 convert with the C engine but was there also a 221 cu in V 8 for a short time?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 10:39 am:

It's true that there were only 1965 Mustangs, but the first ones referred to as 1964 1/2 do have some differences. 64 1/2's had different color engine paint, generators, 13 inch wheels, and smaller engines, 170 six cylinders and 260 V8, and some other differences, 65's had alternators, 14 inch wheels, 200 sixes, and 289 V8's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 10:45 am:

Jeff H.,
Very interesting information. It strikes me as odd that Ford would make such fundamental changes less than 1 year into production. You'd think they would have sorted out those choices before they started production.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 11:02 am:

I think the changes were because Ford started using a sexy body on a Falcon running gear? I also think there were stouter rear axles in the V 8 car's? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 11:04 am:

I have a 1989?(NOS) Gold uncut key for Mustang. Mustang convertible on one side and Ford Script on the other.. $15.00 including shipping. May have a few. I know this is not Classified section. PM if interested.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 11:04 am:

Kenny, The 221 came out in 63 I think and was only in the Falcons. Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 11:07 am:

Bud
It is my understanding, the 221 ci V8 was only used in the Fairlane/Meteor in about 62.
My dad's 65 had a C engine also. Highland green with a 3 speed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 11:50 am:

I was working at a Ford dealer in 1964 when the Mustang came out. I actually was the first one to drive the first one that arrived at our dealership
- Newton (MA) Motor Sales. It was a red six-cylinder coupe. When they went on sale we couldn't keep them in stock.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 11:55 am:

Jeff, interesting ! I well remember being impressed by the new Mustang in the summer of '64. The 'Stang was built on the Falcon platform. Early literature I've seen shows the earliest models with a column shift - I wonder if any were actually made that way ? I've sure never seen one. We drove an "early" (assembled December of '64) with the larger six for 27 years. It felt to me much like my previous Model Ts, simple and light, I could work on everything myself. Nowadays I don't even lift the hood on my '11 F-150 'cause I don't even know what I'm looking at !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 12:10 pm:

I bought a Mustang new in spring of 65. I was working in downtown Atlanta a few blocks from oldest Ford dealer in the city. I approached the dealer salesman and ask for his best deal. He gave me the numbers and shared with me that this was their money car and that he could sell a new full sized hardtop for 50.00 more than his quoted numbers. I told him that I wanted the Mustang so I would shop around but promised to share my best deal for him to match. I found a good deal near my home in Decatur. As promised I phoned the downtown seller who acknowledged that I had found a much better deal than he could get approved. He said to take the deal. I did and enjoyed that car for the next four years. It needed gas ,so I filled up on the way home: Reg 24.9 cents per.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roy Mathis, Van Buren, AR on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 01:06 pm:

There were several other differences between the 64 1/2 and 65's not mentioned above. Wheel and engine sizes mentioned above are not correct. 6 cylinder cars had 13" wheels and V8's had 14" in the 64 1/2's the same as 65's. The A code engine (289 4V) was available in 64 1/2. I had 289 4 barrel 4 speed 64 1/2. Other differences in the 64 1/2 included the front lip on the hood above the headlight buckets. The lip was not folded under and the headlight buckets had indentations to accommodate the lip. There was also something with the gas cap - I think it did not have the cable attached to it like the 65's. There were probably more but my memory isn't what it used to be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 01:17 pm:

When i saw the Mustang first it was called a 64 and a half.It was in front of the PX in Wildflicken,Germany and it drew people like donald draw's flies!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham Bellflower Ca. on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 08:47 pm:

I saw the news last night and they talked to a lady who had owned 60 mustangs in the 54 years. My first thought, She traded through those mustang II's didn't she.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel Indiana Truck Logansport In on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 09:38 pm:

In the spring of 1968 my parents test drove a gold fastback and I rode in the back seat. I still have that car 50 years later but now its black. Some cars will never be for sale and this is one of them. 289 automatic with power steering and the rear seat does NOT fold down like other fastbacks. I have never seen another with this seat but I know others are out there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 11:25 pm:

I just remembered, sometime during the summer of 65, riding in our neighbor's 1965 GT350 from the San Fernando Valley to Lake Mead, NV. It had lap belts and him and I both buckled up. That sure was a fun and fast trip through the Mojave desert in a very special Shelby creation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Instness on Saturday, August 11, 2018 - 12:41 am:

My Model T speedster was my first car and this was my second. I still have both. Built in
October of 1964 in San Jose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Saturday, August 11, 2018 - 10:21 am:

Kirk is correct about the 221 V8. It was never factory installed in the Mustang.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Saturday, August 11, 2018 - 10:36 am:

Yep, we have T's and Mustangs too. Wife has a 67 and a 2015 GT to go with her 18 Touring. The 15 GT is the fourth modern Mustang we have had. I had an 81 when we married, traded for an 88 GT. Later, she got an 07 GT that she traded on the 15 GT.
It's the 50th anniversary edition. She says she's gonna keep it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Beary on Saturday, August 11, 2018 - 11:59 am:

I still say the mustang is just a later production model t coupe with convertible option. My white 06 pony was just as fun as my t 27 roadster or 26 tudor until bambi totaled it in June. May it rest in peace.... someday I'll get a 6 speed.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Saturday, August 11, 2018 - 12:17 pm:

Henry,
The changes were basically across the board for Ford in 1965. The April to August 64 Mustangs were assembled with 1964 Falcon parts, hence the generators, 13 inch wheels on the 4 lug sixes, and Falcon engines. The new 1965 Fords, not just Mustangs, introduced in September 64 had alternators, 14 inch wheels, and bigger engines and many other changes. That is why the collectors now designate the April to August Mustangs as 64 1/2 because there were many differences between them and the 1965 (September 64) cars. Kind of like the differences between the first 2500 and later 1909 Model T's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, August 11, 2018 - 12:38 pm:

Thanks Jeff. Very interesting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Sunday, August 12, 2018 - 03:20 am:

I converted a 65 6 cylinder 200 over to five bolt wheels and brakes. Had to change the rear end and front spindles. Also some steering parts.
I am now rebuilding a 302 to put in it. Could not find a good 289.
The automatic transmissions had an extra clutch disc in the pac otherwise the 6 & 8 shared the same transmission.
I had a 62 Fairlane with a 221. Gutless. I think I drove it less than 10 miles.
My uncle had a new 221 Fairlane. They had some oil burning problems in the first ones. He dumped it early on.
The so-called 64&1/2 Mustang had some structural differences around the hood opening and radiator area too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Sunday, August 12, 2018 - 11:52 am:

I also remember that we had to replace several oil pump drives in the sixes on warranty. I think it had to do with the metallurgy, as the replacements appeared to be identical to the originals. We never had a failure of the replacement drive shafts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Sunday, August 12, 2018 - 12:40 pm:

Here is a herd of Mustangs

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration