Tail light

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Tail light
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Kelley on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 07:05 pm:

Has anyone converted a single style tail light ('26-'27) to a two filament bulb? I have a '26 coupe that has a tail/brake light on left side. It is the small one with a celluloid red lens. It has a two filament bulb. I obtained a tail light off a '26 coupe - looks the same, but only has a single contact bulb. I'd like to convert it to hold a tail/stop bulb and mount on the right fender. The single wire for the tail light just plugs into the back of the light at a 90 degree angle. So far, the "innards" don't look as though they will come out very easily. Thought I's ask for help before I start prying.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Dizer on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 07:23 pm:

You can change the pigtail to a double wire one, but the problem with that is, the double contact bulb has offset mounting prongs or pins that only go in one way. Best is to find a new socket at the auto parts store, and figure how to mount it in the lamp.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 08:06 pm:

Frank, a headlight socket will fit. Just cut off the focus arm and solder it in place.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 08:15 pm:

Langs offers a twin pigtail socket (double contact
Item Number : 6495) and a dual bulb that a halogen 55 watt stop and 5 watt tail (12v 12H-DC-TL, or 6v 6H-55-5). I have that set up in my 26 Tudor tails. Works well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 09:57 pm:

I have a two filament bulb in mine. It takes a special LATE Ford tailamp/license plate bracket. They are not easy to find, but I've been lucky enough to find them. You must find a spring loaded plug, double contact which will enable you to use either a single or a double filament bulb. I use one of Snyders double filament cowl lamp bulbs. The problem is, he had them made with offset pins, so one of them has to be filed off. I'm using an original 26-7 stoplight switch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Kelley on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 10:02 pm:

Thanks everyone. I'll try the 6495 and if successful get the halogen bulbs, Making this car safe for the new owner, my 15 yr old grandson. Drove our touring on the recent MTFCI tour in PA and thinks he's ready to have his own T.
(he has a MO permit that allows him to drive if OLDER person is in passenger seat)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 10:37 pm:

Another possibility would be to adapt the bracket to mount a repop two-bulb stop/tail light for a Model A. I mean, there’s only two years difference between the introduction of the improved T and the A...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 10:52 am:

Frank check your insurance policy before allowing him to drive. Some policies do not allow drivers under a certen age or without X number of years of driving experience to drive an antique car. Not trying to open a debate on what insurance companies allow what, just making a suggestion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Nunn, Bennington NE on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 01:24 pm:

I bought the same socket that Kevin mentioned but I have not installed it yet.

Kevin, what did you use as a covering, if any, to go over the wires? Instructions from Langs recommended a shoelace. I've been looking for something more substantial. The two wires on 6495 seem to be too short to locate connectors under the fender. I will probably solder new replacement wires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 02:10 pm:

You can buy black woven wire loom on EBay and in car parts catalogs. Just do a search for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 03:29 pm:

I used a conversion socket similar to what Kevin mentions 6495D, but to have clearance for the lens in the light assembly I use Model A bulbs from Snyder's https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/staggered-pins-turn-signal-bulb Also I purchased bulk loom https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/black-bulk-fabric-loom and covers/shield that will bolt right up to the 26/27 tail light https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/tail-light-shield

(Message edited by john.zibell on August 10, 2018)

(Message edited by john.zibell on August 10, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, August 11, 2018 - 03:55 am:

I gather you fellows with globe clearance problems have lights where the globe is inserted into the back of the lamp. All ours are fitted on the side, so we do not have that problem. Hence the headlight socket I mentioned works for us.

Sorry for any confusion.

Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration