Cront motor mount bolt length

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Cront motor mount bolt length
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman, Rochester, NY on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 09:07 pm:

I was under the T tonight doing my regular check for loose fittings and came upon the front motor mount. When I assembled the car the “bolts” on the front motor mount were too long for me to get cotter pins installed so I put lock washers in there and cranked it down.

Tonight I tried to find some washers in my hardware stash and realized that I need to get something just the right thickness rather than stack a few in order to get the castle nut in a place so that I can secure pin in there.

So, my question is .. is the front mount I have for a front spring with more leaves? That’s the only reason I can figure they are so long.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman, Rochester, NY on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 09:08 pm:

Hmm ... yes, it should read “front” in the title. Posting from an iphone ..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 09:46 pm:

First of all Mark, I believe your car is a 1923. I don't recall the two bolts on the top using cotter pins, although the castle nuts on the bottom do. I believe the two top bolts use lock washers. The earlier ones use safety wire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman, Rochester, NY on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 05:06 am:

Sorry, I wasn’t clear. I meant to say the two lower bolts on the mount that secure the spring plate (and license plate bracket) not the top two. I have a six leaf spring on the front. I suspect this mount was made for seven leaf springs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 08:11 am:

Hi Mark,

Perhaps your mount is from a TT as the trucks use a longer style to accommodate the deeper front cross member and heaver (more leaves) spring. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman, Rochester, NY on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 09:38 am:

Bill, That's what I was thinking. I'll live with it and find some big fat spacer washers. Don't want to lift that engine up for a couple of cotter pin installations. I may have swapped that mount out when I put the car back together. Maybe the one in my spare parts bin was in better condition than the one that came with the car. I dunno.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration