Triple Gear Problem

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Triple Gear Problem
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Goodheart, Edwards, NY on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 11:09 am:

This Triple Gear bushing is stuck on the Fly Wheel. Need suggestions for best way to get it off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 11:18 am:

Slice it partway through (don't nick the pin) with a Dremel tool cut off wheel, then finish splitting it off with a cold chisel and hammer. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marshall V. Daut on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 11:40 am:

How about an acetylene torch flame to uniformly heat up the bushing without melting it? It should expand enough when warm so that it could be pried off from underneath or grabbed by a vise grip and twisted off. Just don't go for cherry red!
Marshall

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 11:44 am:

I would also try even heat first with a water pump pliers to grab & twist - I've had to do both !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 03:53 pm:

That problem may go back to a few years ago when the bushing material would expand when hot and then not contract again when cooled.

I found that same problem on a Triple Gear this week.

The engine had been run enough to enlarge the Triple Gear hole so the bushing would fall out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 03:55 pm:

This is the other extreme that I found 10 years ago.

Peg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 09:44 pm:

I would probably be replacing the pins anyway and they are a press fit out the back side so I would just take it to a press and push the pin down into the bushing and out the back of the flywheel. The part of the pin that is a press fit in the flywheel is larger than the part where the bushing is stuck so the pin should not damage the flywheel if you push it out the back side like you normally would to replace a pin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, August 11, 2018 - 03:33 am:

I'm with John. New pins and new bushes reamed to the correct running clearance needed.

Allan from own under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Saturday, August 11, 2018 - 08:51 am:

If you think the pins are serviceable, then destroy the bushing. Another way it get it off is, with help, support the pin on something like an anvil and peen it. It will come right off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, August 11, 2018 - 10:17 am:

Chances are if the busing spun in the triple gear, the hole would be oversized. I would suggest when replacing the gears with used ones, get a set that came out of the same engine so the wear patterns are the same on all three. Also, after the bushings are installed they need to be reamed and faced for correct clearance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Goodheart, Edwards, NY on Saturday, August 11, 2018 - 11:01 am:

Wow, lots of good suggestions here. I hope the pins are usable, I have measured the other two pins and get an O.D. of .674"-.675". I have a set of new bushings coming from Lang's. A local T guy has the reamers and experience in facing and reaming the bushings. I need to get that bushing off. I have tried the peening method, but not sure how much is needed. I have been using a small ball pein hammer and a big hammer for support. I don't know how hard I should be hitting it. I don't have torches to try the heating method, I can take it to someone who does. I don't suppose a bernz-o-matic would get it hot enough ? Thanks to everyone for their support and suggestions

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Saturday, August 11, 2018 - 11:21 am:

Just add a little penetrating oil.

Then grab it with a pair of water pump pliers and twist and pull at the same time.

It will come off!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, August 11, 2018 - 11:23 am:

Wm. -- Measure the triple gear pins twice, 90 degrees apart. They wear on the inner and outer surfaces, not the "sides." If there is a difference of more than a couple of thousandths of an inch, they need to be replaced.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Goodheart, Edwards, NY on Tuesday, August 14, 2018 - 04:25 pm:

Success !! I got the bushing off, mostly using the method suggested by James A Golden. Once I realized there is a spiral oil groove in the bushing the penetrating oil would go down the groove, eventually loosening the bushing. All of the responses were helpful, Thanks to everyone. My new bushings came to day.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration