OT - Time Marches On

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT - Time Marches On
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 11:38 am:

My dad is approaching 80 and told me last week to come get all of his tools and shop equipment. He still wants to tinker with old cars but says he'll be content to come see me and mess with old cars in my shop.

I have an older brother but he has little or no interest in anything that requires tools. He's more of a computer nerd.

My dad has some truly wonderful things (a gorgeous vintage Craftsman drill press, a vintage belt sander, a 50 gallon air compressor and all the air tools that one can image, a welder and countless vintage hand tools that either he or my grandfather bought new).

Getting these things should be like Christmas times ten, but I can't shake the overall feeling of sadness. I mean I want all of it, but I don't WANT any of it.

Sigh.

Time marches on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 11:43 am:

Don,

Just remember to share it with your Dad as often as possible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 11:51 am:

Definitely Thomas.

He and my mom will be selling their place early next year and moving to the Texas coast to spend their time salt water fishing.

That'll put them only an hour away from me. Hopefully that'll turn into a lot of time with him and me in my shop.

He wants me to buy a stock Model A for us to tinker with. So...as soon as my 24 Touring is back on the road, I may be looking for a 28/29 Coupe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis R on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 11:57 am:

IMHO- Take the tools. My Dad passed on some years back and I inherited his tools. It is a trip down memory lane every time I use them. Lots of good memories of working with Dad all come rushing back. I use the tools with my sons too and tell them about their grandpa they never met. Kind of keeping his memory going on to the next generation. Take the tools, enjoy them with your dad, enjoy the memories and make some new ones. You won't regret it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 01:24 pm:

My dad was well-known for constantly looking for what he called "road kill"....which to him, meant a tool that had fallen off of a work truck and was laying in the road.

Several of the tools that I remember him using constantly are roadkill, and they'll be coming to live with me as well.

I have to admit that I've adopted his roadkill ways and always stop to pick up a tool in the road if it's safe to do so. It does drive my wife a little bit crazy when I loop around to pick up a pair of pliers when we're dressed up nice, headed to church.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 01:49 pm:

Don,

When my father reached the "Golden Years", he told all of us children to tell him what we wold like to have when he passed. I am the oldest and his "Pride and Joy". We spent a lot of time wrenching and building all manor of projects. I asked for only his tools.

I received NONE.

Don, you are a very lucky man. Tools mean a lot to me and I think they do to you as well. I cherish every tool that has been given to me and remember the giver every time I use the tool.

We will all pass some day. You dad is leaving you with the greatest legacy you could ever imagine. Spend all the time you can with your parents. They will be gone much too soon.

Good Luck,
Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 01:55 pm:

I

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 02:04 pm:

Don I think I would take the tools your father is offering you. You mentioned you had a brother who has no interest in tinkering or being a hands on guy like yourself.

I don't know you or your family but it would be better to start dividing things up like your Dad is wanting to do now. After your folks are gone things can quickly change when it comes to property and belongings whether they have a will or not. Hopefully things will work out OK but they don't always like you think they would.
Just something to think about.
Your Father is making a wise decision I think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni Fredericksburg, VA on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 02:44 pm:

need to read this post from today.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/822076/887756.html?1533919840

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration