Electrical Issue - Did I kill my generator

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Electrical Issue - Did I kill my generator
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 11:38 am:

I stopped for gas this morning on my way to work. I tried to start up on battery, there was absolutely no buzz, no nothing, starter would crank over. I was in a hurry to work (early AM meeting) I finally tried magneto, and she did startup. On my in, I noticed my amp meter was stationary (0 amps). After my meeting I found the 20 amp fuse was blown. I replaced it with a 15 amp fuse, just what I happen to have in the tool box. In 8 years I have never blown the fuse.

No clue when this morning the fuse blew. I will probably have 60+ miles (off site meeting this afternoon) on it before I get home tonight. It started on battery in the garage.

Since changing the fuse I have not started it. What's your thoughts, did I kill the generator?

I'm sure I will know once I take off to my meeting this afternoon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 04:16 pm:

You won't know until you start it and look at the ammeter. There is usually a reason the fuse blows. so look for a short to ground somewhere in the wiring.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 05:19 pm:

When I left work, the amp meter worked. But as I accelerated, the amps increased until I blew the fuse a few blocks from home.

I do not recall if it has a cutout of a regulator, but I am suspecting that it is fried.

I will check for shorts once the engine cools.

If I do not find a short should I pull the generator and put a blank across the opening until I get a new cutout?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 09:32 pm:

Slow down and don't start swapping things until you know what happened. DO NOT TOSS AWAY THE FUSE. Take a close up picture of it - I am totally serious. 20 amp fuse is too light of a fuse for the 20 amp system and use of that size can result in an occasional "nuisance" blowing of the fuse. Such a fuse failure in a glass type fuse is often easy to spot since the fuse will have a long drawn out narrow spot with just a small break in it rather than the whole glass cartridge full of "burn" indicating a catastrophic failure. Disconnect the generator and strap its output stud directly to ground and leave it in place until you find out what happened since you may be chasing a wild goose.

Hope this helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Saturday, August 11, 2018 - 12:18 am:

The mini blade fuse is at work on my desk. It was a quick, hot blow. It melted and chard the plastic housing.

I checked the wiring over, including the amp meter and switch, I did not find anything.

I did disconnected the generator this evening and added a ground strap. It had a cutout on the generator.

Andy Loso recommended bringing the generator up to his place, and checking it over.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration