I stopped for gas this morning on my way to work. I tried to start up on battery, there was absolutely no buzz, no nothing, starter would crank over. I was in a hurry to work (early AM meeting) I finally tried magneto, and she did startup. On my in, I noticed my amp meter was stationary (0 amps). After my meeting I found the 20 amp fuse was blown. I replaced it with a 15 amp fuse, just what I happen to have in the tool box. In 8 years I have never blown the fuse.
No clue when this morning the fuse blew. I will probably have 60+ miles (off site meeting this afternoon) on it before I get home tonight. It started on battery in the garage.
Since changing the fuse I have not started it. What's your thoughts, did I kill the generator?
I'm sure I will know once I take off to my meeting this afternoon.
You won't know until you start it and look at the ammeter. There is usually a reason the fuse blows. so look for a short to ground somewhere in the wiring.
When I left work, the amp meter worked. But as I accelerated, the amps increased until I blew the fuse a few blocks from home.
I do not recall if it has a cutout of a regulator, but I am suspecting that it is fried.
I will check for shorts once the engine cools.
If I do not find a short should I pull the generator and put a blank across the opening until I get a new cutout?
Slow down and don't start swapping things until you know what happened. DO NOT TOSS AWAY THE FUSE. Take a close up picture of it - I am totally serious. 20 amp fuse is too light of a fuse for the 20 amp system and use of that size can result in an occasional "nuisance" blowing of the fuse. Such a fuse failure in a glass type fuse is often easy to spot since the fuse will have a long drawn out narrow spot with just a small break in it rather than the whole glass cartridge full of "burn" indicating a catastrophic failure. Disconnect the generator and strap its output stud directly to ground and leave it in place until you find out what happened since you may be chasing a wild goose.
Hope this helps.
The mini blade fuse is at work on my desk. It was a quick, hot blow. It melted and chard the plastic housing.
I checked the wiring over, including the amp meter and switch, I did not find anything.
I did disconnected the generator this evening and added a ground strap. It had a cutout on the generator.
Andy Loso recommended bringing the generator up to his place, and checking it over.