May I say something?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: May I say something?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Juhl on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 09:19 pm:

I'm a newbie, don't own a T yet but am totally impressed by the friendliness and willingness to help exhibited by every single person I've come across on this forum so far. Such a fine group of people only makes me want to join your ranks even more!

A wonderful hobby populated by wonderful people...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin, Kannapolis, NC on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 09:27 pm:

Just dont ask about marvel mystery oil and you will be fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Hughes, Raymond, NE on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 09:44 pm:

Welcome to the hobby. Or the affliction as some people call it. You are right that the people are first rate. Be sure to find a local T club to get involved in. Also the MTFCA is a quality organization, and has a first rate magazine. You already found the forum, so you can access the home page from the selections at the top of the page. I hope you find a T to have fun with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Juhl on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 09:47 pm:

Darryl,
MMO is also a hot topic in the antique/classic airplane community. Actually I was going to ask for opinions about chrome plating an entire T body....kidding!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 10:01 pm:

I like MMO, just don't use four oz. like is recommended. Boggs down my engine, but 2ozs works fine.

Two other HOT Topics are water pumps and motor oil.
And welcome.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 10:51 pm:

I like my water pump and am using store brand detergent 30W for the summer. LOL :-) (of course there is more to the water pump story in my case and it's not a bad radiator)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 11:00 pm:

Read up on whatever interests you, then you will be in a position to ask more relevant questions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 11:08 pm:

Tim...I'm about 18 months into the world of T's.

However, I've been messing around with old cars since I was a kid (I'm 49) and even run a national car club dedicated to a different old car.

And I agree with you. Model T guys (and gals) are among the best of the best of the old car hobby. For the most part they're unassuming, approachable and willing to help...kind of like the Model T itself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 11:23 pm:

Welcome to the forum Tim. At some point, everyone here was in your shoes, so ask away and don't be shy. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 11:45 pm:

Love the profile pic, at some point Iíd like an L-16 too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Saturday, August 11, 2018 - 01:25 am:

Nice bird!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Keller on Saturday, August 11, 2018 - 01:45 am:

Darryl, you forgot to tell him not to mention what type transmission bands to use..... Kevlar bands vs cotton or wood. Joking aside, welcome to the forum, Tim! You will find that any question under the sun that is T related can be answered here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman, Rochester, NY on Saturday, August 11, 2018 - 06:04 am:

Welcome. If you can augment your online presence with ground time by going to shows and finding a T owner in your area as a guide youíll have a complete picture of whatís out there. Fiddling with .. and driving my Ď23 T is an outlet that takes me away from life's stresses. Something great about being focussed and simple problem solving that is so good for the soul.

Again ... welcome.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Saturday, August 11, 2018 - 08:11 am:

Hi Tim,
I have a lot of fun playing with the old cars and airplanes as well. I'm sure that you will enjoy model T's as much as I.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Saturday, August 11, 2018 - 08:28 am:

You've got some first rate toys there John.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Saturday, August 11, 2018 - 08:43 am:

Thanks Don, I need to probably sell the airplanes. I have a 27pu,26 touring,25 pu, 14 roadster, and an 11 Maxwell to work on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Juhl on Saturday, August 11, 2018 - 10:06 am:

Thanks all... you sound like my kind of people. Nice bird John - funny thing, I'm building a plane too - 2 year project that has stretched into 12. 99% done so maybe this year :-)
I've had the L-16 since 1979 - bought it as a basket case and restored it. Fun flying but slow. The airborne equivalent of a Model T - even sounds like one.
I've been to one car gathering so far (Standish, MI) but plan to get more active when I actually get a T (when I have something to add to the conversation). I'm not afraid to stir the pot with questions --- it's kinda fun to see the reactions some topics bring :-)
Thanks for the great welcome! I feel like I've found a place where I can belong....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Saturday, August 11, 2018 - 10:06 am:

Tim Juhl: I totally agree with you!

For years, I dismissed Model Ts as too common and easy to restore, despite the urgings of Model T owner friends to get one. So, I focused on the oddball cars. But then I realized how much fun the T guys were having and all the touring they were doing.

I got the bug.

I've been in this hobby longer than I care to divulge and, frankly, never cared much for clubs, politics etc. BUT, it has been completely different with the T folks -- at least in my experience.

A nicer, more friendly, more helpful bunch of people I have never met. And fun and funny.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, August 11, 2018 - 12:05 pm:

Hmm, is that a BeDe 4 kit? One of my high school friends' father was building one in his basement. We had a bet going on as to who would finish their project first, my Model A or his Plane. I won!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, August 11, 2018 - 06:25 pm:

Yeah, but that's not fair David,.....a guy can build a Model A that's just barely "roadworthy", but certainly, nobody would build an aircraft that's "just barely airworthy", right? (:^) ....harold

P.S. Just kidding of course as I know your Model A was much more than "just barely roadworthy" ........ (:^)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Sunday, August 12, 2018 - 12:35 am:

Tim, my kit , Canadian ARV Griffen would probably be done had I installed a plane engine. I have installed a ground power unit 180hp turbine. Sooo it doesnít sound anything like a model T.
I purchased it in 98 and got about 60% of it before the company went out of business. So a lot more building and re-purchasing many of the parts from vendors. I have ran it a few times and that was exciting. Problem is I havenít worked on it since I got my first Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, August 12, 2018 - 02:22 am:

Harold, Well, to be fair, it wasn't "done" but it was roadworthy and even had the CHP roadside inspection sticker on the windshield. It was fun showing the officer my "turn signals" (hand signals!).
But, yes, you are right, a plane HAS to be done right, you can't just pull over on the side of the road for a minor problem! Unfortunately Mr. Britt never finished his plane.
Ma Green back in the day when I was just out of high school

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Juhl on Sunday, August 12, 2018 - 08:51 am:

John, I was going to ask you what the powerplant was...couldn't see any cylinders. 180 HP in that size aircraft would really perform!

I've got a Aussie Jabiru six cylinder on mine. I have to pull the heads and replace the push rods and hydraulic lifters before I can fire it up. Do that and mate the wings to the fuselage and I'll be done.Before I installed the tailfeathers
Photo taken before I added the tailfeathers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Sunday, August 12, 2018 - 11:42 am:

Tim, When it's 90% done you only have 90% to go. I scratchbuilt an FAA-approved instrument panel for my beloved Comanche. It took a year to get it done. That cured me of building airplanes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael T Pace on Tuesday, August 14, 2018 - 06:22 am:

Welcome to the amazing community Tim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Thursday, August 16, 2018 - 09:10 pm:

A friend inherited a 601, it also has a jabiru engine and it is also 90% done. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration