Old Photo - Main Street Clinton, Wis. Shortly Before The Automobile

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Old Photo - Main Street Clinton, Wis. Shortly Before The Automobile
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, August 11, 2018 - 09:25 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Harmon on Saturday, August 11, 2018 - 09:43 pm:

Now that's a cool picture! Do you think the train station is off in the distance at the top of the photo?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Juhl on Sunday, August 12, 2018 - 09:19 am:

In Michigan, they used to run light rail trolleys out 30-40 miles from Detroit. A great public transportation system! Somebody named Ford produced a product that did them in :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Rodell, Jr. on Sunday, August 12, 2018 - 09:44 am:

In case everyone doesn't know it, picture postcards of small towns with street cars are quite common. They were "photoshopped" back then to create those scenes. Early 20th century humor meant to make a small rural town look like it had the big city street car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Sunday, August 12, 2018 - 10:49 am:

Diagonal parking........with horses?? I'll bet backing out of a "parking space" was a bit challenging at times!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Juhl on Sunday, August 12, 2018 - 10:58 am:

James - looking at the photo I see you are correct. The trolley was added. That said, my home town did have one :-)
George, as someone with a lot of experience driving horses, I can tell you that backing out of a diagonal space would be a lot easier than parallel parking! Diagonal parking carried over into the early days of the automobile as well but is much less common now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Sunday, August 12, 2018 - 11:41 am:

So, James, is this picture "photo-shopped" ?? That's mighty interesting ! Tim J. , yup ! well-trained horses back readily and handily, teams have to. You wouldn't pull a heavily loaded wagon with its long tongue by hand up to the team to hitch up !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Sunday, August 12, 2018 - 12:14 pm:

Looking at Clinton now, it is highly unlikely that it ever had a streetcar. It is too small. Main St no longer exists either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RICHARD GRZEGOROWICZ on Sunday, August 12, 2018 - 02:03 pm:

GEORGE, Ive had horses that tought me what I needed to know,I bet when the driver picked the reins up with a slight tug and a low voice, back, that's just what ole dobbin did, they love to pleas,and work with you, boy I miss my horses.they are not dumb and like to be used.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Sunday, August 12, 2018 - 02:04 pm:

With James' clue that streetcar photos were often staged, looks to me like an electric street car, there's no support for an overhead wire on the right side of the picture. The curve of the tracks is suspicious, the street seems to run plumb straight, why the curve ? Dave's observation seems to clinch it, a gag photo for fun ! Last, I could be wrong, but the street car seems way out of scale compared to the horses and wagons.

A history on these trick photography gag postcards would be really fun to see !! Thanks for the posts !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, August 12, 2018 - 04:09 pm:

Trick photography goes way back. I would love to read a good article on on the early days of it. One of my uncles was into photography (this was of course much more recent, back in the 1940s before I was born). My aunt and cousins had a number of pictures of my grandfather in trick pictures.
Even in movies, such things were done early on. There was a movie ("Dreams of a Rare Bit Fiend") with a flying house visiting all around the world. Two versions were made, both fairly early. One was one of the earliest fully animated cartoons, the other was live action trick movie photography. I have seen both.
Another famous movie was made by Stoneface Buster Keaton in the early '20s. Buster played all the parts, men, women, as I recall a baby, interacting with himself throughout. At one point he plays all the musicians in a small band. If I recall correctly, during that, there were seven of him in one scene. (I could be wrong on that number?)

Trick photography post cards were very popular for a very long time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, August 12, 2018 - 08:35 pm:

Here's a few trick postcards of the day.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration