FJ - Kim Kramer & Dean Yoder & Kim Dobbins & Jerry Kramer .... :-)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: FJ - Kim Kramer & Dean Yoder & Kim Dobbins & Jerry Kramer .... :-)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Sunday, August 12, 2018 - 07:59 am:

You are sitting in between two Kims .....

I was indeed - it was nearing the end of a great day.

In between friends that had just done something quite remarkable .... :-)

Kim & Jerry had crossed the finish line a few hours earlier in their single cylinder 1906 Cadillac in the 32nd Annual New London to New Brighton Antique Car Run.

About 120 miles dressed in period clothes for (8) hours with no windshield & no top.

Kim Dobbins drove 500 miles thru the smoke of California Wildfires on Thursday - grabbed a shower - boarded a red eye flight to Minneapolis - got a few hours of sleep ....

For the experience of driving 120 miles over the course of more than (10) hours sitting next to Dean Yoder in a 1906 Model K .....

That - against the odds - finished the Endurance Run.

Because that is what this event is about for some cars - taking a calculated risk that your investment will carry you 120 miles in the Summer Heat - and deliver you safely across the finish line.

My Friends Kicked @ss & I was there to see them start and finish yesterday ..... :-)

Congratulations to the Two Kims - Dean and Jerry !

Ya Done Good There ..... :-)

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon - Richmond, VA on Sunday, August 12, 2018 - 12:14 pm:

To ride in a Model K, you have to suffer just a little bit! Congratulations to all the participants. Id be curious to know how many cars started and how many finished?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Sunday, August 12, 2018 - 12:30 pm:

Congratulations to Jerry and Kim, and Dean and Kim, and all the others who participated! Check out those smiles on Jerry and Kim... :-)

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Sunday, August 12, 2018 - 02:57 pm:

Those are two of my favorite images of the literally tens of thousands I have taken over the years.

Jerry & Kim demonstrating sheer exuberance at the finish line.

Sheer exhaustion can be seen by looking at Kim Dobbins.

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Sunday, August 12, 2018 - 03:33 pm:

Jim, it was a great time. I must have been standing just to your left when you took the picture of Kim & Jerry.

We arrived as the third car came across the finish line. Saw Rob and his K come across the line, and spoke to him for a few minutes.

Spoke with Peter Fawcett who rebuilt Rob''s K, for a long bit. He really did a great job talking to my son, and encouraging him to work on his T every day, even if only for a few minutes.

Peter Even gave Jake is business card and said contact him if he needed any advice.

We really had a good time, sitting and watching the cars come in, and layer taking with their owners.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Sunday, August 12, 2018 - 05:46 pm:

I think Mr. Fawcett is related somehow to Dick Clark.

There was a car on the tour he restored in 1991.

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Sunday, August 12, 2018 - 07:34 pm:

Thanks for the pictures Jim and for coming to the event. Had a great time and thanks to Dean for all his work getting the K ready. There were 4 model K Fords and all completed the tour. Thanks to all the organizers and all the people in all the towns we drove through who fed us and cheered us on. Truly a great experience!! Looking forward to next year and having the 4 K's together at the OCF.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Sunday, August 12, 2018 - 08:59 pm:

Whos the guy in the back seat of the K with Dean & Kim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Sunday, August 12, 2018 - 09:06 pm:

Herb Iffrig, he was with us most of the way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry K. Lee on Sunday, August 12, 2018 - 09:13 pm:

JIMBO,

Thank You for sharing!

Hank in Tin-A-See

P.S. I am still looking for the quarter you left on the seat of the 1914 after the ride.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Sunday, August 12, 2018 - 09:23 pm:

Hank,

You gotta come to this Event ....

True Grit is what these early car owners have.

They help each other out along the route - lots of smiles all around - real genuine camaraderie among these Folks.

One guy has made each of the (32) runs ....

This guy had a little car made in France - it stalled at the finish line - he pushed it across ...

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry K. Lee on Sunday, August 12, 2018 - 09:36 pm:

JUST BEAUTIFUL.

Remember, my dear old Dad does not travel well. I will make it one day.

Thanks Again,

Hank

P.S. FOUND THE QUARTER....., No, it's a slug out of an electrical box, I'll keep looking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Sunday, August 12, 2018 - 09:45 pm:

This guy stalled at the finish line - pulled his car across the white carpet while continuing to try to crank start it - about (25) feet ....

I think somewhere in the rules you technically finish if you can get your car across the line - but it might be up to the registered driver to do it alone - Im not sure.

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Sunday, August 12, 2018 - 10:22 pm:

Mr. Peter Fawcett and his wife.

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Sunday, August 12, 2018 - 10:42 pm:

So very, very awesome.

I've never really gotten excited over early cars, but this makes me want to find one...just to make this run.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, August 13, 2018 - 01:08 am:

Henry, that slug WAS the Quarter!!!
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Monday, August 13, 2018 - 09:43 am:

It was a great week all around. Lots of great people and neat cars to ride in. I had to leave and miss the run on Saturday, but.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Kramer on Monday, August 13, 2018 - 10:16 am:

This run has been on my list to do for several years, and thanks to Dave Cooley, who sold me the Cadillac last year, we finally got to do it. Over the course of four days, we traveled more than 250 miles in that car. It was the slowest of all 62 cars there, top speed 18mph, but was very reliable. We had many planned stops along the way, managed to get out toward the front after many of them and thus were passed many, many times by all the other cars. All of the early Fords were much faster than us. Robs K was a red blur about a half hour after the start and I never saw him again until we finished. I watched Rick Linders car fade away into the distance more than once.
Of all the old car events and tours I have participated in, this one ranks right there at the top. That last day was a long one, 125 miles, but one Ill never forget. We will absolutely be back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Monday, August 13, 2018 - 11:05 am:

Jerry & Kim Kramer are Synchronized .... :-)

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, August 13, 2018 - 04:22 pm:

It may be sacrilege on this Ford site, but I LIKE that Cadillac!
Of course, I LIKE all pre 1910 cars!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Monday, August 13, 2018 - 05:18 pm:

Wayne, I think more and more of us are starting to like them also, especially after seeing all these pictures and videos that Jim and Rob have been posting in the last few days!

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Monday, August 13, 2018 - 05:58 pm:

I got a ride in the back of The Special K on Friday
from Spicer a few miles back to New London.

Then I got to keep my seat for the parade thru town.

Dean & Kim were Driving Mister Lazy ..... :-)

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Monday, August 13, 2018 - 10:41 pm:

Thanks for the great pictures.
Makes me wish I still lived in Minnesota.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, August 13, 2018 - 10:48 pm:

Great Stuff!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay Couture - Mahtomedi MN on Monday, August 13, 2018 - 10:53 pm:

Rick Lindner happy to finish.
NL2NB_RickL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Monday, August 13, 2018 - 11:04 pm:

Thanks everybody, we are glad you posted the pictures, great pics.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Tuesday, August 14, 2018 - 12:41 am:

The Maxwell was stuck in gear. Jeff had to stall it to stop and wait for another finisher being interviewed at the finish line. He left the ignition off and cranked his car forward across the line. He actually started the car and drove away, a few feet after the photo was taken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Tuesday, August 14, 2018 - 02:02 am:

Eric,

There were more Maxwells entered than any other manufacturer - why is that ?

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, August 14, 2018 - 06:25 am:

Jim,
Maxwell was a leading manufacturer with many survivors. I suspect another reason for the numbers is due to Antique Car Run (New London to New Brighton) rules allowing one and two cylinder cars made through 1915. Four cylinder (and more) cars are restricted to 1908 and earlier.

If four cylinder cars made through 1915 were allowed I suspect there would be as many Fords on the tour as all other makes combined.

Ford and Maxwell owners enjoy a good rivalry on the tour and both makes usually perform well with strong finishes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, August 14, 2018 - 07:49 am:

I checked with Bruce Van Sloan, and he said 14 Maxwells and 13 Fords began the run, and 13 Maxwells and 12 Fords finished.

Correction, make that 12 Maxwells finished....... :-)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n69pidqjjmio0g2/Video%20Aug%2014%2C%206%2040%2044%20AM.mov?dl=0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Tuesday, August 14, 2018 - 08:17 am:

Rob, you're a special effects genius. Don Booth has nothing on you. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Benoit on Tuesday, August 14, 2018 - 08:42 am:

Thats a cute Le Zebre!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Tuesday, August 14, 2018 - 08:53 am:

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas M. Edfors on Tuesday, August 14, 2018 - 10:22 am:

Thanks for posting the photos. Joyce and I had planned on being there this year with our 1906 Buick but medical issues have still kept me grounded and communicating mostly by email. Maybe next year. Note for brass-era T owners, and any brass-era car owners. Joyce and I are hosting the Snappers Spring tour here in Wisconsin June 2nd - 7th. You need to be a member of AACA and/or HCCA and The Snappers or a local HCCA regional group but this should be a good tour on country roads and Joyce and I would like to see a lot of brass-era cars to promote the hobby, and have fun. If you are interested, send me a PM.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, August 14, 2018 - 04:49 pm:

Well, I may commit a bit more sacrilege here. Among the reasons for so many Maxwells, is that they had a "mostly all steel" body nearly seven years before the Dodge Brothers manufactured against Henry Ford. Most of the runabouts from about 1908 though 1912 had mostly steel bodies that survived very well. Maxwell also had the engine and transmission in a single unit, as well as, if I recall correctly, an enclosed shaft drive very early. They were tough little cars that outlasted most of their competition. It took Henry and the model T to knock them down a few notches! Henry's NRS runabouts I think were superior also, although a few Maxwell owners may try to dispute that.

I think "friendly rivalries" can be fun as long as there is also some mutual respect. Good stuff!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Tuesday, August 14, 2018 - 05:10 pm:

FJ

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration