OT lathe question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT lathe question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Addington on Monday, August 13, 2018 - 12:19 pm:

I just picked up a nice used lathe but am fairly new to using one. I am trying to determine what the Morris tapper in my tail stock is. The hole in the tail stock measures just under 1" so I am thinking I have a #3 tapper. Am I correct? I figured one of you fellas would know. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Monday, August 13, 2018 - 12:23 pm:

here you go
http://www.drill-hq.com/2012/04/morse-taper-dimensions-chart/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lester in Floyd, VA on Monday, August 13, 2018 - 12:24 pm:

.9380 So yes it's a #3.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Addington on Monday, August 13, 2018 - 12:37 pm:

Thanks fellas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Monday, August 13, 2018 - 01:00 pm:

By the way, it's a Morse taper, not Morris. Morris was a cat in cat food commercials years ago!

If you can't find answers for your new toy, go to the Practical Machinist website and visit the antique machinery section. Just introduce yourself and ask for help, then stand back! There's a lot of old machine tool knowledge on that board.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration