Auto Trailer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Auto Trailer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By S Terry Woods on Monday, August 13, 2018 - 03:56 pm:

I am looking for a trailer to transport cars.

Can anyone tell the size and weight requirements?

Itís local so would be just open flatbed. At present I only have Model As but am looking to add a 1914 T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Juhl on Monday, August 13, 2018 - 10:15 pm:

The trailer should be large enough width-wise to drive the car on and long enough you can get a little scope on the tiedown ratchet cables. I prefer tandem wheels but a T is light enough you could probably get by with a single axle. A Model A weighs around 2300 pounds, is 165 inches long, and 67 inches wide. A model T less. Trailer brakes of some type may be required based upon the combined weight of the trailer and car. Every state is different so check your state's law. Also, I would say you need a tow vehicle with at least a 3500 pound capacity.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Tuesday, August 14, 2018 - 06:39 pm:

I use a one axle trailer for my 14 and have no problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, August 15, 2018 - 07:35 am:

I have been looking at a 16 Ft Big Tex 60CH random axel car hauler. For my A or T
4 wheel brakes, slide in ramps, 4,500 load capacity, 3,500 pound axels, tongue jack, etc.
They are quoting $2,800 in NH.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Wednesday, August 15, 2018 - 12:42 pm:

The price on that Big Tex is very good. It would be hard to duplicate all those features in a home built and believe me, I know!

My biggest trailer concern is BRAKES. Always have at least one braking axle and a good brake controller. The idea is to have the trailer itself begin braking slightly before the tow vehicle, thus keeping everything in a straight line.....no jack knifing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, August 15, 2018 - 06:49 pm:

Go to NH craigs list and search Big Tex With a price range of $2000 to 3,000 and you will see a bunch of them

With brakes on one axle they are about $2600,, but I would insist on two axles

You just have to watch out for the length and options they are listing - like ramps, spare tire and wheel, dove tail, brakes on two axles,

Iím sure that there are dealers closer to you but it will give you an idea of what it available. You can also check out the Big Tex web sight.

I suspect that the price is a bit lower when you get close to Texas because of the shipping.
One good thing about NH is that there is no sales tax.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration