Old Photo - When your Mechanic Tells you... "We're Probably About to Die"

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Old Photo - When your Mechanic Tells you... "We're Probably About to Die"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Tuesday, August 14, 2018 - 11:44 pm:

Love these old racing pics, can anyone I.D. this car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Martin, Sydney Australia on Wednesday, August 15, 2018 - 05:21 am:

Peugeot

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Wednesday, August 15, 2018 - 06:26 am:

That is a remarkable action photo for its day. And if that car DIDN'T flip over, I'd be amazed!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Wednesday, August 15, 2018 - 01:57 pm:

I have read that a ride along mechanic had many functions, one was to be a blood transfusion supply for the driver, should there be an accident.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Wednesday, August 15, 2018 - 06:01 pm:

That "mechanic" has some serious lean going on !!!

What a great action photo !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, August 16, 2018 - 07:50 am:

Steve, thats the definition of running lean?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leo van Stirum, NL on Thursday, August 16, 2018 - 08:24 am:

That's literaly driving the wheels off of it !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Thursday, August 16, 2018 - 12:43 pm:

I think that if it did flip over it would have wiped out the camera and camera man. So, since the photo exists, I vote that it did not flip. A quick right hand correction would have kept it from flipping.

Neil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RICHARD GRZEGOROWICZ on Friday, August 17, 2018 - 08:34 am:

Back in the day,they wouldn't let stutz race without a [mechanic]--he was on board to let the driver know what was going on around him,not to do a flying fix.well stutz installed the first rear view mirror,so the driver could see for himself what was going on around him.and was allow'd to run alone. just a bit of history that will be lost one day.GREG.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Friday, August 17, 2018 - 02:03 pm:

"HOLD ON NEWT !! She's a rearing' !!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim R. Wynn on Sunday, August 19, 2018 - 10:14 am:

I seem to remember reading that the 1911 Marmon Wasp, driven by Ray Harroun was the first racing car to utilize a rearview mirror and allowed to compete in auto racing without a ride along mechanic. I just did a search on "Marmon Wasp" with the first hit seeming to confirm this information.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RICHARD GRZEGOROWICZ on Monday, August 20, 2018 - 06:01 pm:

THANK YOU KIM,after all these years I now know how it is,I was told by a old timer it was STUTZ. correcting history is not often easy. Henry FORD once said,I quote, a day goes by and you don't learn something,the day is wasted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt Cwynar- Hell, MI on Monday, August 20, 2018 - 10:15 pm:

And here is a photo of that Marmon Wasp winner of the 1911 Indianapolis 500. Itís on display in the indianapolis hall of fame museum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Tuesday, August 21, 2018 - 10:57 am:

The Marnon Matt shows was the first Indy car to race without a riding mechanic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, August 21, 2018 - 09:18 pm:

We don't see many Peugeots in Idaho. This one traveled through 30 years ago or so.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration