Old Photograph

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Old Photograph
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Wednesday, August 15, 2018 - 10:53 am:

captioned "Armories and South Africa monument. Oct., 1922."

The"South Africa monument" honours the Canadian volunteers who served in the 1899-1902 Boer War against the Dutch in the Transvaal and Orange Free State territories of colonial South Africa.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, August 15, 2018 - 06:18 pm:

Is that a Dodge thats to the right of the T center door?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Nunn, Bennington NE on Wednesday, August 15, 2018 - 06:25 pm:

The badge on the radiator shell is too wide to be a contemporary Dodge. Dodge used a circle with 6-point star inside.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Wednesday, August 15, 2018 - 06:26 pm:

could be a chev as i don't see the frame and springs out frt. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, August 15, 2018 - 06:41 pm:

My first thought for it was Chevy.
Must have been some fairly fast film for those days. The fellow sprinting across the street isn't too much of a blur.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Wednesday, August 15, 2018 - 11:02 pm:

Yes, itís a Chevrolet. Either a Ď16 or Ď17. Fun cars they are.

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Thursday, August 16, 2018 - 07:54 am:

The instant I saw that photo, I said that's the Brantford Armoury. In fact I'm in Brantford this minute. The building still stands and is in service today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Thursday, August 16, 2018 - 08:26 am:

Hi Dave,
I was hoping someone would have a recent photograph of the Armory to post. Thank You.
I see the Boer War monument is gone- not too surprising- those types of colonial wars are pretty much forgotten now.
The cannons are newer too. I guess the earlier ones went into the furnaces via a World War related scrap drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Thursday, August 16, 2018 - 11:39 am:

Glad to help Dale. They recently did a major cleaning of the brick and stone. The building was quite black before.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Saturday, August 18, 2018 - 09:55 pm:

Dale. The recent photo I posted was a Google maps screenshot. Somehow it didn't include the monument which is still there! Tonight I stopped by and took this photo. And if you look close, you might even see a Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Sunday, August 19, 2018 - 10:17 am:

Ah, good. Another mystery solved!
I looked up that monument shortly after your original photograph and it was listed as still there. I think the first picture you posted just clips the edge of the garden that surrounds it but misses the statue.
Thanks again, and i DO see a "T" lurking in the background- a nice bonus!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration