Old racer photo looks older.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Old racer photo looks older.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, August 15, 2018 - 11:32 am:

My friend Norm and I built and drove these in the '70s. My Kodak box camera and the b&w film almost make it look like the '20s.

We had lots of fun with these cars and lived to tell about them. On this trip we had to remove the right rear fender to get around one tree.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, August 15, 2018 - 11:44 am:

Very neat. I assume the pictures were taken in the seventies too. There's no film available for most box cameras now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, August 15, 2018 - 12:01 pm:

Yes, probably 1972 or so. It was a plastic Kodak that took 620 film. Not like the more impressive (now) tin box cameras.
I suppose some of the excitement of photography is gone now, not having to wait for the drug store etc. to develop the pictures.

We had time distance events that tried to keep at a safe speed, but a flat tire or dirt in the carb. necessitated driving full throttle to catch up. I'm sure many of us have hair raising stories of fast T's on dirt roads.

Rich

(Message edited by rich eagle on August 15, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Fuller on Wednesday, August 15, 2018 - 07:23 pm:

Rich,

Great photos! Looks like you had some fun!

Please post more if you have any.

Ed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles F. on Wednesday, August 15, 2018 - 09:58 pm:

Those are some really neat pictures!

Actually, the old "box" cameras are still shootable. 620 film is only available by specialty dealers but 120 is still made and can be used in older cameras if rewound onto 620 spools in the dark.. An antique printing press still in use.''

These pictures were taken on Ilford HP5, a 1930s style emulsion, using an 1948 Universal "Roamer II" bellows camera--for a while my only working camera! Love that vintage technology. Some bushes I saw flowering...they were yellow

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, August 15, 2018 - 10:09 pm:

I think 120/620 is the only roll film other than 35mm still available. 116/616, 122, 124, even 127, are all kaput. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Wednesday, August 15, 2018 - 11:26 pm:

Any more pics of #28? From the back it looks very reminiscent of a Bugatti Type 13 which is a look Ive considered for my own eventual speedster build.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman, Rochester, NY on Wednesday, August 15, 2018 - 11:30 pm:

And ... we teach workshops in how to make these early flexible films (and glass dry plates) from scratch at George Eastman Museum in Rochester, New York. Google: photography workshops at George Eastman Museum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Thursday, August 16, 2018 - 10:33 am:

Neat photos and really look the era. Thank you for posting and got a photography lesson too boot :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, August 16, 2018 - 12:29 pm:

Tim, here are some more pics.

The hole in the hood was added to clear the Model A distributor I adapted to the car. The bearskin coat had been used by my Grandfather when he drove horse and buggy. It keeps me warm at -30.

The racer was maroon from 1971 to 1979 then gray. I sold the body to build a C-cab in 1982.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, August 16, 2018 - 12:34 pm:

I should add that the radiator shell (as well as the body and hood) is homemade and fits a '30-'31 Model A radiator with an extended filler to allow the round top.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Thursday, August 16, 2018 - 08:55 pm:

Very cool pics!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Fuller on Thursday, August 16, 2018 - 09:12 pm:

Rich,

Thanks for posting more pictures of your speedster.

Keep them coming!

Ed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Thursday, August 16, 2018 - 09:31 pm:

-30? I don't think there is a coat made that would keep me warm at -30. Hell I get cold at +30.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, August 18, 2018 - 08:57 am:

There aren't many detail pictures from back then. These were taken for the local newspaper. The center one showing the dash also shows the radiator in the shell. Also the sharp cowl edge I covered later with a conduit I split.

Two different years we were accompanied by a TV cameraman for the first 2 or 3 miles. Our own Richard Bingham was the mechanic this year. A "Harley" footboard was added as well as canvas fender and side flaps. I'm not sure where the brake rod was.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Saturday, August 18, 2018 - 11:57 am:

Thanks for posting these photos Rich. It's fun to look back !
Time is a funny thing - back then, we would have been intrigued by 46 year old photos - they would have been taken in 1926 !

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration