Question about four dip pan supports.......

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Question about four dip pan supports.......
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Wednesday, August 15, 2018 - 04:21 pm:

I've noticed that there are supports being offered that bolt under the pan, right at the front of the hog's head. The idea is to provide additional stiffness and restrict flexing.

Just recently I saw a posting that said that the three dip pans were more rigid in this location due to the extra pan metal. Would there be any advantage at all in installing supports on a three dip?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Wednesday, August 15, 2018 - 04:55 pm:

George

I would say that it couldn't hurt. I added them to my '13 as belts and suspenders. I am also contemplating installing a belly band. Of all my T's that is the one I fear for, regarding any potential future block damage.

Now, lets wait to see how long it takes for someone to say that a properly rebuilt engine will not break a crankshaft...

waiting...

waiting...

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joss sanderson on Wednesday, August 15, 2018 - 05:36 pm:

Agree. Would certainly help. As to a property rebuilt engine not breaking a crankshaft; that gave me a good laugh. Drivers and metal fatigue are two main causes of broken cranks. A perfect rebuild helps, but can never solve everything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Thursday, August 16, 2018 - 06:46 am:

Good advice......I'll order a set and consider the belly band also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Thursday, August 16, 2018 - 06:50 am:

George, I magged 13 cranks the other day five of them had cracks 4 where the diamond style and 1 was a 26-7 Canadian DE crank, there is a trend on the earlier style crank with cracks on the throws.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Monday, August 20, 2018 - 05:03 am:

Floating Trans Main shaft

These help take stress off the crank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, August 20, 2018 - 05:14 am:

Jpe, I can top that. Have just finished testing 8 cranks before we found one which was not cracked.
This all started when the owner decided to have his original tested. The motor was down to remove some hollow top pistons used in a 60's recondition. My guess is that was all they could get at the time. The car was way down on compression. Anyway, good thing we did test it, because it was racked almost right around the flange at the back.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Monday, August 20, 2018 - 09:00 am:

Dan, that is fantastic! Where can we get those transmission shafts?

I once used a ball bearing fourth main to break a crankshaft. Iíve gone back to the sloppy fit of a babbit main carefully fit a la the Tulsa group instructions. No more two piece cranks for more than ten years now!

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Monday, August 20, 2018 - 09:58 am:

See my ad on classified page. Dan

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration