Tire pump question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Tire pump question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, August 17, 2018 - 09:23 pm:

My cousin gave me this running board mounted tire pump. No name or markings of any kind. I assume its period correct. I need to find correct hose and valve stem fitting. Any help would be great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, August 17, 2018 - 09:26 pm:

I also got a jack with the pump that I think will go on the TT project.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, August 17, 2018 - 11:34 pm:

When you do get a hose and fitting on that pump and try it out you may decide it's for display only. I was surprised to find that a foot pump, less than $20, works very well.

I wire it to a plywood base to keep it upright on uneven or rocky ground.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Saturday, August 18, 2018 - 10:01 am:

Steve, question from another thread, do you have any trouble pumping a tire up to 60 PSI with that manual pump ? Where did you find it ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, August 18, 2018 - 10:27 am:

When you get a hose and try, make sure there is a check valve in ether the outlet on the pump or the head that attaches to the valve stem. Some have a ball valve in the fitting where the hose connects to the pump. The valve in the stem is only a one way valve. It is ether open to fill or closed to keep air in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, August 18, 2018 - 10:57 am:

Rich, that's why I was surprised at how well it works. When I fixed a flat on a trip last year I was able to get the tire up to 60 psi with it. It took longer than using the compressed air at home, but it wasn't a major ordeal. I had my doubts when Royce recommended a foot pump, but it does work.

I see the price has gone up a dollar since I bought mine a couple of years ago.

http://www.smallautoparts.com/product-p/a3557.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Saturday, August 18, 2018 - 11:15 am:

Wow !! That's mighty reasonable ! Thanks Steve !

I've found we tend to be overly dependent on power tools. Most "old fashioned" hand tools are very efficient - just takes a little "elbow grease".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, August 18, 2018 - 11:18 am:

In this case ankle knee grease! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Saturday, August 18, 2018 - 05:37 pm:

After changing my clinchers on the side of the road I sit back and let the 12V pump do the work to get up the 60 psi.. It all fits inside my generator with the extra tube and patches.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Humphrey on Monday, August 20, 2018 - 07:11 am:

It Depends on how hard you want to work...LOL

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration