Need help with speedometer location for my '13

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Need help with speedometer location for my '13
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace, Woodstock,Ont. Canada on Saturday, August 18, 2018 - 08:10 pm:

Going through all the boxes of stuff with my grandpa's early 1913 Canadian T. I took out the AC speedometer that was installed and am going to put the car's original Stewart speedometer in it.

I would like to know how far it is supposed to be from the top of the firewall.

Since the original firewall is gone, I don't know the height. This speedo wasn't hooked up since the 1920's at which time the car had 15587 original miles on it. I seriously doubt the car has had 200 more miles on it since.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, August 18, 2018 - 09:46 pm:

Only the very early '13a had that speedometer. By January, they went to the new flat mount speedometer. If you need help locating where a flat mount goes, I'll be happy to help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Saturday, August 18, 2018 - 10:13 pm:

Here is a thread from 2011. It looks like it is located on the passenger side, centered on the firewall with the same amount of distance above and below the speedometer. Jim Patrick

www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/185981.html?1306158018

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace, Woodstock,Ont. Canada on Sunday, August 19, 2018 - 08:21 am:

Thanks guys!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins Winnipeg,Canada on Sunday, August 19, 2018 - 11:32 am:

My 12 is a sept car made in Canada if you would like exact measurements I can get them for you Cheers Colin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Sunday, August 19, 2018 - 11:43 am:

On second thought... after having a closer look at the picture, it appears that the speedometer is located with 2/3 of the distance below the speedometer and 1/3 of the distance above the speedometer. Jim Patrick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace, Woodstock,Ont. Canada on Sunday, August 19, 2018 - 03:33 pm:

Hi Colin, sure that would be great! Thanks! I've mounted it for now, but I have a brand new correctly made firewall from Snyder's to put in the car later, when I get it stained and varnished. For now, this will do :-)

Appreciate it Colin! Look forward to hearing from you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Sunday, August 19, 2018 - 03:47 pm:

Looks Great!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace, Woodstock,Ont. Canada on Sunday, August 19, 2018 - 04:56 pm:

Thanks Jim!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel Indiana Truck Logansport In on Sunday, August 19, 2018 - 06:19 pm:

Darren,

I will check my Jan. 13 touring and post it here for you. Might help to have more than one car to go by.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace, Woodstock,Ont. Canada on Sunday, August 19, 2018 - 07:30 pm:

Great! Thanks Bob!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins Winnipeg,Canada on Sunday, August 19, 2018 - 10:53 pm:

Darren it is centered between the panel and the carb adjuster plate on the 12 from the right side of the rim of the speedometer to the panel 2 inches and from the left side rim of the speedometer to the edge of the carb adjuster plate 2 inches. from the top of the speedometer rim to the brass trim of dash board 3 3/4 I hope this helps our original dash the angle brackets 3 bolts went through the dash when Dad replaced the dash he used brass screws from the inside only, the pics are off because they are taken from the back seat on a downward angle cheers Colin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Sunday, August 19, 2018 - 11:12 pm:

Darren. Looks like you have your speedometer in the exact place on the firewall that Colin recommends. Good job.

Colin. Your firewall looks great! What type of plywood is it (cabinet grade birch?) and what stain did you use to get it that beautiful golden color? Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace, Woodstock,Ont. Canada on Monday, August 20, 2018 - 07:44 am:

Thanks Jim! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mario Brossard on Monday, August 20, 2018 - 11:13 am:

Other question, I have original Stewart speedometer for my 1911 Touring. I would like to know either how far it is supposed to be from the top of the firewall. Is it the same than Darren?

Kind regards,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins Winnipeg,Canada on Monday, August 20, 2018 - 08:21 pm:

Mario you have a 2 piece dash so it my be different

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins Winnipeg,Canada on Monday, August 20, 2018 - 08:25 pm:

Jim It is plywood with a cherry veneer and a cherry stain it was done in 1960

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel Indiana Truck Logansport In on Monday, August 20, 2018 - 10:43 pm:

Darren,

I pulled my back out of place yesterday and was not able to make it to the shop to get the numbers from my 13. I may be able to make it out there in the next day or two depending how things go by then. Getting out of the shower when you have a bad back can be sort of painful at times. Now all I need to do is sneeze and enjoy it even more. (Been there, done that)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace, Woodstock,Ont. Canada on Tuesday, August 21, 2018 - 05:54 am:

No hurry Bob :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel Indiana Truck Logansport In on Friday, August 31, 2018 - 09:53 pm:

I made it out today and my speedometer is different so it wont help you any. It was dark so I could not read the model number but it mounts flat to the firewall. Sorry I was no help this time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel Indiana Truck Logansport In on Friday, August 31, 2018 - 10:33 pm:

Here is a picture of what I have saved in my computer.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration