Speedo Pickup?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Speedo Pickup?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Juhl on Saturday, August 18, 2018 - 10:23 pm:

I understand the pickup for a speedometer would attach here. Can someone tell me which make uses this mount and perhaps provide a photo of what it is supposed to look like? speedo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, August 19, 2018 - 12:06 am:

It's too bad your 1917 has later wheels. Ford had quit supplying speedometers, but their 1917-1918 front hubs still had the machined flange and the screw holes for a large speedometer gear. Russ Furstnow could probably tell you what you need. I expect he could even provide it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Sunday, August 19, 2018 - 12:15 am:

That's part of a Stewart-Warner setup. That piece takes the place of the castle nut for the steering arm. You need a cotter pin through one of those small holes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, August 19, 2018 - 01:06 am:

I have the "L" shaped bracket that holds the swivel. I has the number 4007 on one side a 2 on the other. Sorry if they are a little out of focus.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Art Taylor, WA on Sunday, August 19, 2018 - 01:33 am:

I hope this help with your speedo question.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Art Taylor, WA on Sunday, August 19, 2018 - 01:42 am:

Forgot to say this is setup for a 490 Stewart Warner speedometer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, August 19, 2018 - 01:46 am:

Art, thanks for that last bit of info. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Juhl on Sunday, August 19, 2018 - 11:18 am:

Thanks all for your replies. I can always count on this group.

Art, that's quite a rig! I guess they disappeared mine when they changed the wheels. From your photos I see that you had to drill the wood spokes to mount the big gear...is there anything else major that must be done to that type of wheel when setting up a speedo pickup?

Jeff - thanks for the heads up on the cotter pin. Will do!

Steve - while I agree my wheels aren't original to a '17, I'm glad to have demountable rims in case I get a flat on a tour. This is my first T and I plan to drive the heck out of it and enjoy it, not go for trophies :-) I'll try Russ Furstnow and see what he says.

I REALLY enjoy this forum!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Art Taylor, WA on Sunday, August 19, 2018 - 03:52 pm:

My car is a Model T 1926 Tudor the tires are 4.50-4.75-21.
You should buy Russ Furstnow (email - 1stnow@msn.com) book for speedometer details. I change my speedometer setup to 'The Stewart Warner 490' setup so it not the same as above. I love to document my process so I have lots of picture and information on every project setup on my car. Contact me at 206-999-5523 if I can help. Art

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Tuesday, August 21, 2018 - 10:24 pm:

Sorry to bump this. Been busy with other antiques.
Great question and thanks Tim! One I've wanted to ask but you even have more parts than I do! :-)
I only have the mount for mount for the L bracket om a spare frame and wondered. Thankfully, my hubs are correct on my 18.
Great info here!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration