Radiator cleaning

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Radiator cleaning
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Douglas Dachenbach on Sunday, August 19, 2018 - 01:20 pm:

What is the mixture of CLR and water that I can use to clean the rust out of the Radiator and block. I plan to use Simple Green first to get any oily residue out and then the CLR mix.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, August 19, 2018 - 01:49 pm:

From the CLR website:

Vinegar is much cheaper.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, August 19, 2018 - 02:05 pm:

Steve I wonder if that warning is for plastic and aluminum radiators? I would think that as we are working with brass, cast iron, solder and rubber that it would work much the same as home plumbing. My choice anyway would be vinegar or Evaporust. Both are less harmful to the environment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Raynor in Southampton on Sunday, August 19, 2018 - 03:00 pm:

I used vinegar with very good results on an original 15 radiator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Sunday, August 19, 2018 - 07:19 pm:

IH (Farmall) listed a delime solution in the Cub service manual. I have not been able to find out what it was, but had to be an acid. Something like that should work fine. Is that what CLR is? Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene french on Sunday, August 19, 2018 - 07:22 pm:

Douglas:
I use "oxy-clean" to remove oily build up ...then CLR … check your progress often and when you have good flow and the radiator looks clean, stop and flush the cleaner and neutralize … you may actually open up old leaks that have been filled with "stop leak " products, but you may return a used radiator to serviceable condition … an ineffective radiator will ruin your enjoyment of any car … you may have to resort to a professional cleaning … either way , effective cooling is necessary...always an optimist...gene french

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Monday, August 20, 2018 - 12:16 am:

And for water scale: Use a couple of teacups-full of completely dissolved washing or baking soda (one dissolved teacup per gallon of water).
Run it retarded and hot for 20. Dump that, refill to flush and flush it again. Courtesy of Dyke's 1924 encyclopedia.
I used a coffee cup to measure the soda for a scaled up $40 rad a friend found for my 24 20 years ago. Still cools great.
:-)

(Message edited by duey_c on August 20, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni Fredericksburg, VA on Monday, August 20, 2018 - 10:12 am:

I saw this on TV seems to be made for rust removal.

https://www.evapo-rust.com/thermocure/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, August 20, 2018 - 10:19 am:

Evapo-rust is fine for rust, but it won't touch the mineral deposits. It's also pretty costly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni Fredericksburg, VA on Monday, August 20, 2018 - 10:45 am:

Steve this is a new Evapo-rust product that is specific for radiators and coolant systems. Not sure how well it works but I think it's different from their other product. You are correct it is a bit pricy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Clements on Sunday, September 02, 2018 - 12:30 am:

I just finished flushing the system in my coupe. I started out with viniger, followed by several water flushes. It removed a lot of rust, but did not get the system clean. I put in a bottle of Thermocure and filled with water. After some run time, I drained it out. What came out was black and full of debris. I then refilled with water, run time, drain and refill with water several times. Then a second bottle of Thermocure and water, run time, drain and still came out black. Several fill with water, run and drain cycles later, the water comes out pretty clear. The radiator looks clean inside. I filled it with 50/50 antifreeze and it seems to cool fine with the that same old radiator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Clements on Sunday, September 02, 2018 - 12:39 am:

On my roadster, I started off with Dawn dish soap and water, run time and a few flushes. Followed that up with viniger, run time and several flush cycles. Then Purple Power with run time and several flushes. A second round of Purple Power, run time with several flushes. Followed that up with another round of viniger followed by several flushes. Radiator is still not clean and runs hotter than I think it should. So, tonight, I drained it and filled it with Thermocure and water. I am going to do the same thing that I did on the coupe and see what the results are.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Sunday, September 02, 2018 - 02:44 am:

I was going to drain the cooling system and replace the radiator hoses but, saw there is a pipe plug in the drain hole. Correct me if I’m wrong but, shouldn’t there be a petcock like in the oil pan?

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas Landers NE Indiana on Sunday, September 02, 2018 - 05:47 am:

You are correct Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Sunday, September 02, 2018 - 07:30 am:

I used 1/2 a gallon and the rest water. I let It sit for 2 hours in the sun. Then flushed using the flushing to wash the outside of it. Now the radiator was leaking bad before I did this and the goal was to expose all the little leaks.

After washing and let dry for a few days I used a tiny drimal type wire brush, almost 1/2 a pound of JB weld, and a heat gun and spent many days patching the leaks.

I've been leak free all summer and seams ok while driving. I have a good replacement radiator but it became a challenge to see what I could do with this one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Humble Northern Michigan on Sunday, September 02, 2018 - 07:45 am:

Those who use vinegar,do you run straight vinegar or a mix with water, if you mix what is the ratio vinegar to water?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joss sanderson on Sunday, September 02, 2018 - 09:18 am:

I use vinegar mixed about 50/50 and run my car for about 20-30 minutes. Anything stronger is likely to create a large number of leaks.
Getting the engine and radiator totally clean? Really? Only way I know to do that is tank the head, block and radiator. That is guaranteed to find lots of leaks.
Arless Lewis who helped many of us young guys always said don't use a sledge hammer when a slight tap will work. CLR is more of a sledge hammer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Sunday, September 02, 2018 - 10:55 am:

I used straight vinegar. I let it set for a day or two. Flushed it out the stuff was like mud. The flushed with water. Probably over kill on that because I didn’t want to have any vinegar left. The best I can say is the wife wanted to know where the vinegar was that she bought. Have not had a over heating issue that a quick trip to the store for a replacement bottle didn’t cure.
No leaks she’s running happy and so is the T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Sunday, September 02, 2018 - 11:51 am:

Rust 911 is much cheaper than evapo-rust and works just as well.

https://www.rust911.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Clements on Sunday, September 02, 2018 - 11:59 am:

Thermocure from Walmart is $19.88. Rust 911 in that link is $23.75. So, Thermocure is acctaully cheaper.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Sunday, September 02, 2018 - 12:02 pm:

Rust 911 is a concentrate and is mixed with water. It works out to less than $4.00 a gallon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Clements on Sunday, September 02, 2018 - 12:07 pm:

I do have a new, in the box, Brassworks radiator. So, I decided that I would clean both cooling systems as best as possible, to keep as much contamination as possible out of the new radiator. Still not sure witch car will get the new radiator?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Clements on Sunday, September 02, 2018 - 12:11 pm:

Are you using the Rust 911 radiator cleaner? Or, the Ultra Concentrate Rust Remover?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Clements on Monday, September 03, 2018 - 07:13 pm:

I finished the flushing and both cars are running a 60-70 temperature differential from the top hose to the bottom. Top temperatures are around 180 to as much as 200. Neither car boiled or over heated. It was 90 degrees, sunny and humid. I think the Thermocure did the trick!!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration