Amazing thing happened while driving the T today

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Amazing thing happened while driving the T today
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman, Rochester, NY on Sunday, August 19, 2018 - 07:58 pm:

I was driving around Rochester this afternoon when I noticed a Goodyear Blimp overhead. After about 20 minutes I realized we were traveling the same path. So, I drove to the city railroad yard, parked the T and jumped out. I waved my hands and gestured for them to do a circle so that I could set up a shot of both the car and the blimp ... and they did! After getting a few shots .. it kept going off in the distance.

Blimp

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Sunday, August 19, 2018 - 08:07 pm:

Neat!

I thought Goodyear retired the blimps?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Sunday, August 19, 2018 - 08:27 pm:

Great pic!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman, Rochester, NY on Sunday, August 19, 2018 - 08:39 pm:

I didnít know Goodyear still had blimps either. But there it is. I wonder if they were taking pictures of me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, August 19, 2018 - 08:51 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, August 19, 2018 - 08:54 pm:

The Good Year blimp flies over my house a couple times a year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin, Kannapolis, NC on Sunday, August 19, 2018 - 08:55 pm:

I remember the time the blimp flew over my parents house in Bergen, NY. It must have been in the mid to late 70's. I remember it was very low in the sky, and I was thinking it came close to the water tower high on the hill behind our house. I have no idea where they were going, but were traveling west to east. That is so cool you were able to get a photo of your car with the blimp in the background.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Sunday, August 19, 2018 - 09:03 pm:

Neat, check this link:

https://www.rochesterfirst.com/news/local-news/goodyear-blimp-spotted-in-downtow n-rochester/1381847829

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Juhl on Sunday, August 19, 2018 - 09:14 pm:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the blimps were retired and replaced with something more like a dirigible - semi-rigid frame with internal gas bags.

Sorta like the Hindenburg without the hydrogen....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Monday, August 20, 2018 - 12:28 am:

Several years ago the Goodyear Blimp was in the Seattle for the summer. One of their promotions was if you bought a set of their top line white stripe tires you got a free ride in the blimp.

My ex wife purchased a set for my El Camano then gave the ride to me for my birthday. The blimp was tethered at Pane Field in Everett not far from where we lived.

I made arrangements to take my flight early in the morning. So at 8 am I got on board and off we went. I was surprised how small the cockpit was. lots of windows for sightseeing. Was told not to move about quickly as it would make it difficult to navigate.

I was really surprised of the rate of assent. Once they unhooked the tether the throttles were opened and the nose seems damn near straight up motors were winding and the ride started. I forget the degree of accent but it was a good thing I was sitting down.

The ride lasted about 30 minutes out over Puget Sound then over Edmonds Wa and across the sound to Whidbey Island and then back to the airfield. There was no feeling of movement once we leveled off as just the motor and prop noise.

All in all it was a great way to start the day. It reminded me of a balloon ride we had except the motor noise.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, August 20, 2018 - 05:46 am:

BCG, tell us more about you El Camano. It sound like the love child of a Camaro and an El Camino. Was it a Camaro with a tray or an El Camino with a trunk?

A made in Davenport WA had dirty big Cadillac he'd converted into a pickup by removing the trunk lid and chopping the turret. It caused quite a stir when he firs took it to lunch in town one day. His wife had the exact same car in the same colour, and the locals thought he had cut up her car!!!

Allan form down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, August 20, 2018 - 07:02 am:

Mark,

Great "photo op!"

Allan,

Both Chevy and Ford offered at UTE (Australian for pickup based on a car front with a pickup box) style pickup truck in the USA.

The Chevy El Camino was based on the full size Chevy 1959-60. Discontinued and introduced again 1964 based on the mid-sized Chevelle chassis. And it grew in size as the Chevelle chassis grew. Discontinued in 1987. General Motors offered the same basic truck with the GMC name plate.

(Thanks wikipedia: By Chevrolet pre-1978 - Chevrolet El Camino brochure, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=8893065 )

BCG will need to add what year his El Camino was or if it was something other than a production version. They were also available with the SS package and big engines.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Goodheart, Edwards, NY on Monday, August 20, 2018 - 08:30 am:

A Goodyear blimp landed at Watertown, NY airport at 5:30 PM Sunday. It could be the same one Mark saw in Rochester. It will be at Fort Drum today giving rides to select military personnel. It is in conjunction with a new Goodyear Tire center that opened on the base earlier this Summer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Monday, August 20, 2018 - 10:38 am:

That photo Mark is a shot of a lifetime !!! Enlarge and frame it, then put it on a wall for everyone to see.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sam Mendenhall on Monday, August 20, 2018 - 10:59 am:

Mark, what's up with the wind sock at a railroad yard, is it next to a airport? Just curious.Sam

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Floyd Voie - Chehalis, Washington on Monday, August 20, 2018 - 11:12 am:

Sam,
The windsock is in case of a hazmat incident in the railyard. Employees within view of the windsock would know where to position themselves so as to be upwind from the hazmat.
Most railyards have windsocks today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman, Rochester, NY on Monday, August 20, 2018 - 12:13 pm:

I wondered that myself .. saw it as I was laying in the cinders waiting for the blimp to come around.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration