Radiator mystery

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Radiator mystery
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brooks Schlieben on Thursday, August 23, 2018 - 01:45 pm:

Radiator is back from the shop. Manager tested it and said leak was coming from the bad petcock. Why, then, was water dripping from the opposite side on to the front axle, etc? Could water have travel across the bottom of the radiator?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Hughes, Raymond, NE on Thursday, August 23, 2018 - 02:01 pm:

Yes. Water has a way of migrating from itís origin to other locations. That is why it is so hard to find where a roof leak actually is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brooks Schlieben on Thursday, August 23, 2018 - 02:13 pm:

Thanks, Steve. Was pretty amazed when he told me. Glad I got all the cleaning, painting, etc. done anyway. Better now than in February. Coolant was eating all the painted services. When reinstalled, will fill with just water first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James B on Thursday, August 23, 2018 - 04:40 pm:

Water is like electricity: it takes the path of least resistance

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, August 23, 2018 - 07:44 pm:

RE bad petcock
It would drip off the casting before it would travel along the bottom, unless it sits at a real steep angle to the passenger side and downhill. Maybe then? Sitting flat, the casting for the outlet would be the lowest spot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brooks Schlieben on Thursday, August 23, 2018 - 07:59 pm:

Mark, I see your point. The radiator guy sounded pretty confident. He performed all the obligatory tests. It was strange where and how the coolant was leaking - on the far left-hand side of the radiator, when the petcock is on the right (facing the radiator). Will see this weekend when I remount it. One thing for sure - it will be just water first and keep my fingers crossed!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, August 23, 2018 - 08:01 pm:

Hopefully when he tested it he didn't use over 2 lbs if any air pressure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, August 23, 2018 - 10:17 pm:

Why not fill it before you put it in the car? It might be easier to find the leak for sure that way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brooks Schlieben on Thursday, August 23, 2018 - 11:02 pm:

Will do, Steve. Thought the same thing, too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, August 24, 2018 - 01:08 am:

Water with antifreeze will weep from holes that water alone won't.
Just sayin'

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Friday, August 24, 2018 - 11:54 am:

Define "bad petcock". Right off one would think that means the valve is unseated in the body - maybe the radiator guy meant the pipe threads on the cock were bad and didn't seal in the radiator tank ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brooks Schlieben on Friday, August 24, 2018 - 12:56 pm:

Rich and David, both comments noted. The petcock is shot. No biggie. Had ordered a replacement with new hoses. The radiator is on my patio with water in it. No coolant. Will inspect for leaks. A very sunny, hot day in Pa.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brooks Schlieben on Friday, August 24, 2018 - 01:05 pm:

May just opt for a new radiator.
Do not want to mess around with it in the dead of winter under a carport. Will decide this week pending the results of the leak test.
Question: With the T running, once the radiator is installed, would that prompt it to leak again?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brooks Schlieben on Friday, August 24, 2018 - 09:29 pm:

Kind of a moot point now. Tested radiator. Still is leaking. Will check it out tomorrow for something obvious. Otherwise, time to start looking for a new one. May give the shop one more crack. We'll see.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, August 24, 2018 - 11:14 pm:

I assume this is about your 1920. If the radiator fails to do its job, leaking or not, after you have cleaned the system, it's time for a new one. With a brass era radiator that has good original tanks I would have it recored. For a black era car like yours, I'd get a new one from Gery Bergbower.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brooks Schlieben on Saturday, August 25, 2018 - 07:29 am:

Thanks, Steve. Sure looking that way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Oliver Baker on Saturday, August 25, 2018 - 09:13 am:

Does anyone have Gery Bergbower's contact info for new radiators? Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brooks Schlieben on Saturday, August 25, 2018 - 09:20 am:

www.bergsradiator.com

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration