26-7 broken front hub-wire wheel

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: 26-7 broken front hub-wire wheel
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Dizer on Thursday, August 23, 2018 - 05:11 pm:

I am preparing to install wire wheels on my 27 depot hack. I have sand blasted and painted the rims, installed four new tires and tubes, and am working on the spare rim. While I was waiting for the primer to dry on the rim, an rear drums/hubs, I decided to clean up the front hubs. They have been soaking in a bucket of diesel fuel and gas for more than a month. This has caused the top layer of black paint to peel off, leaving a coat of thin white primer. As I was wire brushing one of the hubs, I discovered first that the inner race was falling out on its own, and that on the hub flange, opposite of each other are two long cracks, covering about half or a bit more of the hub. The mounting flange with the wheel studs is broken loose from the center hub! If it had gone much further while being driven, the whole wheel, with the flange would have separated from the hub/ car, and life would have gotten very interesting!

Have any of you found anything like this before? I hadn't seen anything posted on the subject, so just thought I would ask! I'm now needing another hub if anyone has one they would part with! I'm in Indiana, and will be at the OCF with my antique bikes in a couple of weeks. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Thursday, August 23, 2018 - 05:15 pm:

Bill, I sent you a pm.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Thursday, August 23, 2018 - 06:27 pm:

William. Can you provide pictures? Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Dizer on Thursday, August 23, 2018 - 08:11 pm:

first attempt at a photo. Not sure if it is small enough, or how to make it smaller on an iPad air2.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Dizer on Thursday, August 23, 2018 - 08:44 pm:

I have had no luck trying to downsize the photos, but I did post one on the club Facebook page as a guest, if you can find it. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry K. Lee on Thursday, August 23, 2018 - 09:19 pm:

William,

I have some hubs that are completely sandblasted, inspected, primed, paint, with new races installed. They are $300.00 a set plus shipping. To you in Indiana would be about $30.00.

All the Best,

Hank in Tin-A-See

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Dupree on Friday, August 24, 2018 - 08:53 am:

Cracked flanges on front wire wheel hubs are VERY common.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Dizer on Friday, August 24, 2018 - 09:03 pm:

Henry, Thank you for the offer, but Keith responded earlier, and has what I needed! I really appreciate the offer! Hopefully I will be able to get the wire wheels installed without more problems! I do need to pull the rearend apart to replace the thrust washers. My late father put together this T, finishing the major work when he was 90! We started with a free running gear with what appears to be a newly rebuilt engine. I found all the sheet metal, and got all the body work done, and we added a Pleasantville manufacturing hack body. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Sunday, August 26, 2018 - 12:42 pm:

I am in the need of one front hub.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration