How long should a timer brush last ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: How long should a timer brush last ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman, Rochester, NY on Friday, August 24, 2018 - 02:18 pm:

Itís been one year since I got the Ď23 first inspected after rebuilding the drivetrain. I installed a TW timer at that time. Prior to this I had always used Tiger timers and later a flapper style on my old T.

I liked the TW and it ran well. Took some time for me to get the feel for itís touch on the spark lever while driving. I was doing a once over on different systems today and removed the TW to see if it needed cleaning. Good thing I did. There was a lot of carbon caked in there and when I removed the brush assembly the brush was worn almost to about 1/4Ē to the spring. So my question is .. is this the typical wear? Iíve driven the car around 2600 miles.

Since I didnít have another brush I installed a good used vintage $1 flapper timer and reset the spark rod. Interestingly .. I got several free starts with the flapper. In the year I ran the TW I never got one free start. Donít know why.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Friday, August 24, 2018 - 04:40 pm:

A friend is running a TW and it needed a new brush in about a year. We do drive a lot of miles but he now keeps a spare and checks it more often.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Friday, August 24, 2018 - 04:42 pm:

Hi Mark : I had the same concern and replaced my TW timer with a NOS New Day timer. The car didn't run any better with the New Day, but I feel more comfortable should I have a problem on the road. Replacing a worn TW brush would be a nightmare on a hot engine maybe in the dark,or rain as getting the tiny wire to fit into the worn (too short) brush is very difficult. My TW brush wore short in a hurry too which initiated my concern although the timer performed excellent.I'm tempted now to try an Anderson as I have a NOS one. Cheers : Bruce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Friday, August 24, 2018 - 05:44 pm:

I've been running an NOS New Day on my 14 for about 5 years with no problem and very little wear. In fact, I just took it off today to clean and inspect it and it looked just about the same as the day I put it in -- the cap and the brush.

I'll probably never use another timer. Glad I bought three NOS New Day's cheap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, August 24, 2018 - 05:45 pm:

I replaced my Anderson with a TW. I'm not sure what mileage I drove but it was plenty. The first brush didn't seem to last too long and there was lots of carbon. Subsequent brushes seem to have lasted much longer probably because the contacts have polished up a bit. One thing I like is that the car let's you know when to change the brush as you will notice a small loss of performance. A new brush makes the engine pull stronger. I do get plenty of free starts too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman, Rochester, NY on Friday, August 24, 2018 - 08:37 pm:

Dave .. thatís interesting. As I mentioned above, I never got a free start from the TW .. not that itís necessary or important. I have used flapper style timers before and liked them. Had a modern reproduction Anderson and the contacts inside wore pretty quickly .. but the vintage ones lasted much longer. I have a vintage New Day Iíll try one of these days. But the contacts sit just a little more proud than the plastic base. Would love to ďsurfaceĒ the inside to make the track flush.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Friday, August 24, 2018 - 09:59 pm:

Mark
Why not contact Tony Wiltshire at TW and discuss your question with him directly?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman, Rochester, NY on Saturday, August 25, 2018 - 06:27 am:

Sure, I plan to buy a new brush, actually two from him at Hershey if heís there. To be clear, this was not a criticism of his product. I thought the timer was great. I just wanted to hear from others who were using the TW in their cars to see if 2600 miles was the typical life span of the brush.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Saturday, August 25, 2018 - 09:09 am:

I have TW timers on all my T's and am very happy with them. I get free starts and rarely need to service them. I drive a lot but I rotate my cars so the mileage is not that high on any of them but I have not noticed any major wear on the brushes to date. They are sensitive to oil contamination so good cam seals are a must or they will need to be removed and cleaned often

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Saturday, August 25, 2018 - 09:30 am:

I have 2 original Ford script ďbrush styleĒ contactors. One has a bronze brush and the other looks to be tool steel or stainless...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, August 25, 2018 - 11:11 am:

I have been using New Days all of my adult life, and have found them to be very reliable and almost trouble free. The life of the brush, or roller, depends on the brand of the timer. A Tiger timer is probably the most unreliable Ford style timer available. Everyone has an opinion, and you just read mine!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Saturday, August 25, 2018 - 01:58 pm:

I liked the Anderson flapper but wore out two of them before I switched to a original timer with no parts to wear out or require any maintenance.

( E type )

I'll never again have to replace or clean it out after every tour.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration