Hood latch washers

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Hood latch washers
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Benjey on Friday, August 24, 2018 - 04:25 pm:

I read on an old forum entry that the washers on reproduction hood latches are too large to fit through the holes in the frame. A remedy that didnít appeal to me was to grind them down using an electric drill and a file. Loweís and Home Depot didnít have anything useful, but a quick internet search found washers with nominal quarter-inch IDs and half-inch ODs on the Grainger website. Attached are photos that compare the repro washers with the Fabory 22UG96 washers sold by Grainger. I donít know if the Fabory washers are small enough but less work will be required to grind them down or hog out the holes in the frame, but Iíll find out soon enough.

Latches with washers

Washers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Friday, August 24, 2018 - 10:30 pm:

What do you mean "washers on reproduction hood latches are too large to fit through the holes in the frame"?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Friday, August 24, 2018 - 11:16 pm:

Scott, The original washers were the same OD as the spring. When you assemble the hooks, springs, washer and cotter pins with the hood shelf and go to mount it on the frame, the hole in the frame is big enough for the factory washer-spring to pass through. With a too large washer you'd have to put the hooks in after the shelves were mounted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Friday, August 24, 2018 - 11:28 pm:

Corey

thank you. I guess it's been years since I've removed those items...darned if I'd remember that. Obviously didn't...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, August 25, 2018 - 01:02 am:

Having the correct size washers does make it a lot easier to install. :-) The small washers might still need to be taken down a little in diameter. Check the fit thru the holes in the frame. The blocks are mounted in the sills, then the hooks are installed and the whole assemble is dropped into place and bolted down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen, Madera California, USA on Saturday, August 25, 2018 - 02:33 am:

I think that the big OD washer is called a fender washer and that the smaller OD washer is called a SAE washer, for Society of Automotive Engineers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin, Kannapolis, NC on Saturday, August 25, 2018 - 08:34 am:

I use AN washers. Work great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ED Henline on Saturday, August 25, 2018 - 10:05 am:

I use a #10 washer and punch the hole out to the correct size for the hold downs. ED

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, August 25, 2018 - 10:30 am:

Other thing to add, make sure the cotter pins are folded around and don't stick out, otherwise you end up with the same issues as too big of a washer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, August 25, 2018 - 11:05 am:

Duh! The washers don't go through the frame!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, August 25, 2018 - 11:50 am:

They did using the original washers on my 21.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Benjey on Saturday, August 25, 2018 - 01:38 pm:

Darryl, I don't know what an AN washer is and, if I did, wouldn't know what size to get.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, August 25, 2018 - 01:55 pm:

Not the cheapest place to get them, but:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/flatwashers.php

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, August 25, 2018 - 01:58 pm:

Looking at the Ford service manual, it seems clear (to me anyway) that the hood shelves can be removed and installed on the car without disturbing the assembled hood clip/spring/washer/cotter pin. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, August 25, 2018 - 02:24 pm:

Correct. These hood shelves are ready to mount.

Mark pointed out, be sure to fold over the cotter ears in a round shape too :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin, Kannapolis, NC on Saturday, August 25, 2018 - 02:32 pm:

Tom, AN is Army Navy standard. I use 1/4" we used them on race cars in most places that required a washer. Bowman bolts, Grainger, McMaster Car, ARP fasteners, all carry them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, August 25, 2018 - 02:39 pm:

I found the washers that were nearly identical at Ace hardware. They work fine. Can't remember what exact size they were. I simply found some that were like the original I had taken with me to make a comparison.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Dupree on Sunday, August 26, 2018 - 05:03 pm:

Look at metric washers. An M5 washer is 0.2 inches id and 0.40 inches od. An M6 washer will fit over the end of a 1/4 inch bolt and is 0.465 inches od. I never knew that the od of a metric washer was so much smaller than the od of an SAE or USS washer of the same ID.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Benjey on Monday, August 27, 2018 - 12:40 pm:

I stumbled across 6mm washers at the local Lowe's, of all places. The ODs were fine but the holes were a little bit too small. So, I borrowed Ed's technique and pounded a tapered punch far enough through the holes to make them fit.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration