Driving with modern traffic

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Driving with modern traffic
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt Cwynar- Hell, MI on Friday, August 24, 2018 - 08:09 pm:

Today I my 25 T to work for a car show witch is 35 miles away. I came across quite a few impatient drivers. I had one guy lay on his horn for several mins because I slowed “to far“ from the stop sign. I had been going maybe 10 under the speed limit and there were plenty of spots for him to pass but no he just chooses to yell and swear at me to get off the road. As a side note whenever I have someone behind me and I come to a passing zone that is open for them to pass I pull right in the lane and wave them around.

Today that guy wasn’t even the worst. One the way home I waved a guy around and he waved and gave thumbs up but the guy behind him pass as well and threw a banana at me hitting me directly and splattering all over me and the windshield, dash and floor. Have you guys ever had something like this happen?

But on a positive the majority of people smile and wave. But those few bad apples or should I say bad bananas really take away from all the positive expressions from people.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Friday, August 24, 2018 - 08:30 pm:

I have yet to have a bad experience like that in my T and hope it never happens. Don’t let some nincompoop spoil your day; although, I must say the banana episode would probably have gotten to me too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, August 24, 2018 - 08:38 pm:

Nothing like that! I would have tried to get his license number and reported him, that was assault with a slippery weapon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RJ Walworth, New York on Friday, August 24, 2018 - 08:40 pm:

should of gotten his plate number and call the cops for road rage

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt Cwynar- Hell, MI on Friday, August 24, 2018 - 08:59 pm:

Ya I would have loved to get his license plate but by the time I knew what hit me and how fast he was going I couldn’t read it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Juhl on Friday, August 24, 2018 - 09:15 pm:

Geez! I have a similar situation when I drive my Army Jeep on a state highway - I watch traffic ahead and wave those following on when I see a break. I have yet to have a single instance where any driver acted in a rude or malicious manner.

That said, we all know those kind of people are out there... don't let them ruin your day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Prince Madras, Oregon on Friday, August 24, 2018 - 09:23 pm:

That's what happens when you live in Hell. I once had a truck follow me so close that it was dangerous to pull over, I had to slow down on a hill so that I could pull ahead enough to pull over. The scariest drivers are the ones that when you pull over to let traffic pass they won't let you back into line.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Friday, August 24, 2018 - 09:42 pm:

I have never had anything like that happen. I just drove my T to work today. It is too bad some people have to be such knuckleheads. I would not have taken it as well as you seem to but my response would reflect very poorly on the rest of us T drivers. Sorry that happened to you. Our city gov. Thought it would be a great idea to take one driving lane away and make it a bicycle lane ( that no one uses) so traffic is being crammed into the remaining one or two lanes making it a little more interesting to drive on but I still haven’t experienced something like that. Yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Friday, August 24, 2018 - 10:09 pm:

Hooray for BACKROADS!
Hey, I know Model T owners/drivers who are impatient with bicyclists. "They ought to be outlawed", they say. Myself. I admire them and wish I had their endurance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, August 24, 2018 - 10:19 pm:

I have to slow down for bicycles and buggies. Woe is me. I am fortunate to live in Amish country. I can actually pass other vehicles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Friday, August 24, 2018 - 10:23 pm:

Last week coming home from the Camarillo air show, three of us went home together taking a two lane route. This route is through a very nice area and has no passing signs all the way. As we started the route a guy in a Chevy Avalanche passed all three of us. Crossing the double yellow line on the left all the while oncoming traffic was present. I'm not sure how we avoided a serious accident.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Friday, August 24, 2018 - 10:37 pm:

This is the one thing that has me nervous about the whole T experience, once I get my car going.

Here in the north Houston area, driving is practically a contact sport. It's something akin to being a gladiator. It wasn't awful until a bunch of California plates started showing up...and now we have the aggressive SoCal style of driving starting to become the norm.

I don't want to be limited to only driving my T near my home. I want to go all over The Woodlands/Conroe area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Friday, August 24, 2018 - 10:41 pm:

Some folks hate model T drivers because they know we are super rich. They think we spend millions having tires custom made and parts machined every week. And that the cars are worth more than 50 thousand dollars,
They are just stupid, or ignorant, no , they are stupid.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, August 24, 2018 - 10:43 pm:

To hell with street driving. I'm not going to let some moron kill me for no reason. I came close. Never again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, August 24, 2018 - 10:45 pm:

No experiences like that here so far. Fortunately there are low-traffic and/or low-speed roads just about anywhere I want to go locally.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber- Vancouver WA. on Friday, August 24, 2018 - 10:52 pm:

I've had pretty good luck so far. Most of the roads I travel are 35 mph or less. I do occasionally drive in slower heavier traffic. Most other drivers like seeing such an old car on the road. That said, I have had some drivers get PO'd, stomp it and pass me just to sit beside me at the next light. Go figure, is he embarrassed to be behind the car? Is his life that messed up that he can't handle the ride?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis. Tomball Texas on Friday, August 24, 2018 - 10:55 pm:

Matt. Glad Your OK and it wasn't a couple of Eggs.What was the speed limit on the roads You were traveling to work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis. Tomball Texas on Friday, August 24, 2018 - 11:35 pm:

I have a Small inexpensive camcorder with a windshield suction cup mount might that might be good to record traffic and the old cars on the tour.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, August 25, 2018 - 12:22 am:

You don't have to be driving a T for these things to happen; today I was in my modern pickup waiting for the flagman, with one car before me. The way around their repaving job was to go up the side street a short distance and then take a dirt path back to the road (this intersection used to be a Y, the dirt road is the unused remains of that Y). The car in front of me was waved up the road by the flagman, and I waited to also be waved up, and just as he waves at me, the guy behind me guns it and shoots past me up the side road. As I got to the flagman I said, "I guess he couldn't wait for me." He said, "boy he came out of nowhere--I'm glad you noticed him because I thought for sure he was gonna hit you."
See, happens in modern vehicles too, but no one worries about fixing them!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Saturday, August 25, 2018 - 01:12 am:

The practice of traffic-jamming a horseless carriage among modern cars is fraught with all kinds of hazard. -We're protected primarily by extreme vigilance and, as our collector-car insurance companies would put it, "reduced exposure"—meaning most of us don't drive these cars every day. -Bearing that out are the safety statistics generated by antique cars, and even muscle cars compare quite favorably with modern cars, the general consensus being that the owners of old iron tend to be very mature, very careful, very conservative drivers. -That would tell me that the most effective safety feature is located between the ears.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Saturday, August 25, 2018 - 01:18 am:

Normal people are fags. It'd be funny to have an egg cannon though. Maybe a confetti one but the confetti replaced with small eggs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Saturday, August 25, 2018 - 01:26 am:

I live in a small town of maybe 25k tops. Most of the residents here love and appreciate seeing a T still roaming the streets with lots of thumbs up, and honking horns. That being said, you still have to have your head on a constant swivel looking for those drivers not paying attention. Is owning and driving a T on today's roads dangerous?...Of course it is,...Is giving up driving a T because you're afraid of what might happen to you an option,...No, at least not for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt Cwynar- Hell, MI on Saturday, August 25, 2018 - 05:54 am:

Jim, about half the drive is 35mph and the rest is 50mph. I keep telling myself I’m buying a dash cam to record these people both in the T and modern cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman, Rochester, NY on Saturday, August 25, 2018 - 06:18 am:

I drive in city traffic here in Rochester nearly every day since I drive my T to the museum where I work. You really have to be on your toes. The hardest part is breaking for endless traffic signs and lights. Since most streets have a speed limit of around 30 mph the T is fine for keeping up with traffic. I do take trips out of town which are very relaxing and my house is in a neighborhood near one of the large parks that have nice boulevards. One is actually called Driving Park, built for horse and carriage driving before the age of automobiles.

One thing that’s difficult is that modern drivers have no idea what hand signals are, particularly signaling right. They always think I’m waving at them. So, when I raise my left arm to signal I point my arm over my head and point my finger to to right. A little movement of the hand back and forth to the right at the same time also helps.

Oh ... one other thing. I find that most people love seeing my car when I’m out and about. That includes the police, all cultures and most age groups. My wife calls my T a “chic magnet” .. but that all the chics are over 70 years old! The only “group” I’ve found that doesn’t even see my car are some young women in their twenties. They just find my car as something in their way when speeding and texting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Saturday, August 25, 2018 - 06:28 am:

I think it depends somewhat on where you live. The drivers here in North Carolina seem to be a little bit more courteous. There are still lots of idiots and A holes. I have to deal with them daily on the interstate when driving to and from work in my modern car. The ones that are really scary are the bumper jumpers driving 80,000 pound 18 wheelers. I see people doing 100 mph plus on the interstate, weaving in and out of traffic. I don't think you have to be driving a Model T to encounter the jerks.

I like the back roads that are 4 lane. These are maximum 55 mph here in North Carolina. I drive slower than that, of course, but there is a lane for people to pass me. I have programmed my GPS to avoid interstates and highways. Still, I check my route using Google Map, either on the computer or my phone before traveling. Touring with my club seems to be the safest. On two lane roads I pull over as much as possible.

Drive defensively. Install a dash cam, available at truck stops or on the internet. Be safe. Don't let the jerks get to you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Thompson Graham NC on Saturday, August 25, 2018 - 07:00 am:

I learned as a kid driving tractors on the road
You don't pull over get in your lane as best you can follow all traffic laws and drive. Let them
Pass where they can. There are some huts out there
I always carry my American express if you know
What I mean

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Saturday, August 25, 2018 - 07:12 am:

Living here in frozen tundra of northern WI offers me the opportunity to take lots of lightly travelled back roads for driving the Model T. However...we are also vacation/cabin country around here. On holiday and summer weekends it gets nuts. The crowds of visitors we affectionately refer to as "Cidiots" seem to think all roads here are just an extension of their interstates. They roar down the roads in a panic to get from point A to B. On those days I find that early morning drives have the lightest traffic and most courteous drivers. After about 11AM it is just best to avoid leaving the garage though. I don't tempt fate by getting out there and playing chicken with them during peak traffic times. As much as I like driving the "T", I'm not going to risk my well being doing it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RJ Walworth, New York on Saturday, August 25, 2018 - 08:21 am:

have a sign in the back that says CAUTION WHEN PASSING DRIVER CHEWS TOBACCO

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Arthur Babitz on Saturday, August 25, 2018 - 12:23 pm:

The only problem I have had is drivers in front of me slowing down to look at my car in their rear view mirror. I often have to downshift so I don't ride up their tailpipe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, August 25, 2018 - 12:45 pm:

Kevin Whelihan:

That's a good word, "cidiot," I'm going to start using it. I live in Minneapolis proper.

This is how folks drive on Minneapolis residential neighborhoods.

June of this year, exactly three blocks east from my house.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Eddie on Saturday, August 25, 2018 - 01:00 pm:

I have had a few instances that tell me younger drivers have no idea what hand signals mean.
When signaling for a left turn off of a highway I had a driver roar past me waving hi.
I am guessing he thought the hand straight out was meant as a signal for him to pass?
I wonder if they even include hand signals in drivers training these days

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Butler Huntington Beach, CA on Saturday, August 25, 2018 - 01:06 pm:

Outside my classroom window.

Yes, it's California...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Saturday, August 25, 2018 - 01:19 pm:

I also once lived in a tourist area as Kevin does. We thought they let all the people in the insane asylum out on weekends and give them car keys. We stayed home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Juhl on Saturday, August 25, 2018 - 02:13 pm:

I live in a rural Michigan County (Sanilac) which has 41 miles of shoreline on Lake Huron. M-25 is a state highway that follows the shore and is best avoided on summer weekends in any vehicle unless you're willing to drive well above the speed limit. We've referred to such drivers as citiots for years.
When I take my Army Jeep out (max 45 mph) I run mostly the back roads and secondary paved ones on weekends. Fortunately, being retired, I can also exploit the more sedate travel available on weekdays.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Saturday, August 25, 2018 - 02:54 pm:

RJ, I don't know if you actually chew tobacco or not, but word of caution. A few weeks ago in my area someone spit out of the car window and got some on the car behind. The other driver was offended by this and shot the spitter.

It's a strange world and getting worse. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Saturday, August 25, 2018 - 03:55 pm:

Bananna thrower was a coward. He knew you wouldn't be able to catch him so he did what he did. Had you been in a modern car, he would not have done anything, for doing something like that here in Florida, is a sure fire way to get an a** whoopin', or shot. A few months ago, I believe it was in Tampa, a fellow riding shotgun spit out his passenger side window and it landed on the windshield of a car coming up next to him (unintentional, to be sure). At the next light, the guy got out of his car and berated the spitter before shooting and killing him. He is now in jail on murder charges. Be careful out there. Sometimes it is best to just let it go. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John V. Dow on Saturday, August 25, 2018 - 05:21 pm:

No such problems in 2 years. I tend to always drive at less than peak times, on low traffic roads and make every effort to stay out of the way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john hardiman on Saturday, August 25, 2018 - 05:31 pm:

Don
I was in the Woodlands not too long ago. I had talked to people in local club but brother in law had me all over the place. Back to driving....... I thought Massachusetts drivers were nuts. Driving down highway (if memory is correct rt. 45 ) people going 80 plus mph crossing lanes no directional pushing you down road. And, those 2 lane roads on either side of the highway where you can bang a uey or try to get to a store on the right side and slow down... they run you into the curb.

Massachusetts gets a bad rap with driving.....I have clearly seen worse states in my traveling..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Saturday, August 25, 2018 - 05:38 pm:

I got caught out in the dark a week or so ago and was worried about how I was going to get home. I could either go through the poorly lit country with no traffic or the well lit city with light traffic. My biggest worry was being rear ended for driving a black pickup with tail lights that don’t conform to modern standards of size, brightness or configuration, but I decided that was better than not being able to see wildlife in the dark countryside.

As it turned out, I was the one passing slow drivers on the city roads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Saturday, August 25, 2018 - 06:06 pm:

Sadly, this behaviors is not limited to driving in traffic. This past week we were in Idaho to a funeral for my Uncle LaVar. He was a Model T man and had restored several. Those of us that had some of these cars brought them and flanked the hearse on the way from the church to the cemetery. As we pulled out of the parking lot onto the street, this 20's chick is stopped by the officer directing traffic. And what does she do? Middle finger salute. Sad the disrespect to such a wonderful guy and my T mentor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Keller on Saturday, August 25, 2018 - 07:30 pm:

After the guy threw the banana, did he peel out?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt Cwynar- Hell, MI on Saturday, August 25, 2018 - 07:38 pm:

Ya the hand signals are next to useless with most people it seems. I have resorted to using hand signal for those who actually know what they mean then I point the direction I’m going they seem to understand that better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, North Central AZ on Saturday, August 25, 2018 - 07:45 pm:

Hand signals are still in the Arizona Drivers license Manual. Thanks to the Harley riders most people here understand them. I quizzed a 15 year old kid recently about hand signals and to my astonishment, he knew what they were.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel Indiana Truck Logansport In on Saturday, August 25, 2018 - 09:17 pm:

It was about Feb. or March of 1989 when my Dad was so sick he ended up in a coma in ICU at St. Vincent Hospital in Indianapolis. They told us he had maybe a 10% chance to live and was hooked up to more stuff than my Mom or me even thought possible. He was like this for 31 days with no sign of improvement. We stayed at the time in the waiting room and the whole time my Mom never left once but after two weeks I had to go back to work so I told my Mom to call me if anything changed and I would come back every other day to catch the 10 min. visiting time. If I drove fast and headed out from work sometimes I could catch 2 visiting times the same day before heading home.

One night I was just north of Indy and starved and had a couple extra min. so I hit the drive thru of a McDonalds that I passed every time and got a burger to eat on the road. As I was eating and driving in the right hand lane behind some slow cars I saw some young boys in the car in the left lane beside me. One was mocking me as I ate my sandwich and I just kept driving and didn't pay him any attention. This must have made them mad so they swerved into my lane and almost hit me. Then the one on the passenger side rolled down his window and threw a beer bottle that hit the rear of my car and broke. I ended up getting behind them and kept them in my view till I came to my turn to head to the Hospital. I was still shook up from this when time came to visit my Dad.

People have no idea what stress a person can be under at times. I just wanted to see my Dad maybe one last time but things turned out better because after 31 days he woke up and sort of recovered but was never the same. We lost him 10 years later to lung cancer. He was 62 when he died.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, August 25, 2018 - 11:31 pm:

RE: hand signals vs electric turn signals

Once upon a time folks only recognized hand singles but were not familiar with electric turn signals.

My grandfather bought a brand new 1939 Buick. This was first U.S. made car with factory equipped turn signals on the back.

If you are not familiar with these turn signals, they are mounted on the center of the trunk lid. See photos below.

One day while out driving his '39 Buick, my grandfather signaled to make a left turn. As he slowed down to make his turn, a driver behind him decided to pass him on the left and ultimately hit the Buick.

The other driver blamed my grandfather for the accident, saying he failed to signal his turn. However, my grandfather pointed out he did signal - not with his arm - but with the turn signals on the trunk of the Buick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Sunday, August 26, 2018 - 12:06 am:

I have taken the written test at least three times in CA.
In every test there were questions about hand signals.
I live 70 feet to the left of a busy intersection
When the light changes and I turn left and immediately right into my driveway I always had signal to keep from getting rear ended.
Folks ALWAYS seem to know what's going on.
The folks that you think don't know what hand signals are are folks not paying attention.
I have directional lights on my '26 touring, my '29 Nash , my '48 Nash and my '51 pickup. And I use them.
I am not going to give up driving my cars just because a few folks think it is disgusting to have directional lights on cars that came without them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By samuel pine on Sunday, August 26, 2018 - 06:32 am:

garden pump sprayer with the blackest drain oil
works every time

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Sunday, August 26, 2018 - 08:30 am:

Well at least you are not required to have a person walk in front of the car with a red flat warning the on coming of your approach.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Michaelree on Sunday, August 26, 2018 - 11:32 am:

Just drive friendly. Why is it that some people think such dangerous, rude, self centered behavior is acceptable when behind the wheel, but would be horrified if you double dipped your chip in the salsa?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Sunday, August 26, 2018 - 01:23 pm:

I haven't had any of the issues mentioned so I guess California isn't as bad as people think. Guy throws crap at me better hope that I don't catch him at the next light.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Sunday, August 26, 2018 - 01:46 pm:

Two days after posting about how courteous most drivers are out here, I was headed home in my '14. I was a few hundred yards from the house and I signaled (hand) for a right turn onto Route 62. Just as I started into the turn, a woman in a foreign-make SUV passed me on the right, squeezing between the T and the road signs on the side of the road. Came within an inch of completely wiping out the passenger side of the T. Of course she gives ME the business, as though I was in the wrong. She'd had to follow me for a whole quarter mile in a 40 mph zone. I had been going very close to the speed limit, so it's not like I'd been holding her up. Just aggressive, self-centered driving. First time that, or anything like that, has ever happened to me out here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Sunday, August 26, 2018 - 01:56 pm:

I try to pick times that are not busy to drive the T. Mine likes about 35 mph. I pull over at every opportunity and wave people by. About 98% seem to enjoy the old car. The others just blast by. So far no really bad experiences.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Sunday, August 26, 2018 - 02:48 pm:

Given the high percentage of people out there on mind altering drugs, do not make the assumption that the person you're dealing with has an intact logic circuit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis R on Monday, August 27, 2018 - 03:18 pm:

Had a sign on the back of my "T" for a while-

-Warning-
I Own Firearms
And a Backhoe

Used to get the strangest looks from other drivers...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, August 27, 2018 - 04:03 pm:

Matt - given the unusual name of your home town, it's no wonder there's some crazy devils driving around in the area? :-)

"Hell, Michigan" prompted me to investigate into other unusual place names and actually, you're only 338 miles south of Paradise, also Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Monday, August 27, 2018 - 05:10 pm:

Had a guy pass me in a sports car last weekend. It was over double solid lines on a curve with a car coming towards us in the other lane. He turned left at the very next intersection with was maybe 100 feet further. Road is posted at 45 and I was doing a little over 35. I had no opportunity to pull over as he came up fast out of nowhere. I get this a lot on that country road. I have to just let it go. It does no good to get mad. I just try to be as safe as possible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Monday, August 27, 2018 - 05:26 pm:

Our cabin is about 15 miles from Paradise. Only driven through hell a couple times and one was Atlanta.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Monday, August 27, 2018 - 05:37 pm:

We all have had great experiences driving our antique autos and a few poor ones. I have driven my 1910 a few times after dark with only oil lights 60 years ago in Minneapolis.. At that time the after dark speed limit was 25 miles an hour. In recent years I drive the 10 only in day light here in a more rural area. I have no trouble with my two Model A Fords. They have "pretty good" electric lights. The 31 roadster has a modern alternator so I have plenty of juice. In 40 years I have had only one driver yell at me to "get off the road". Off topic, today I was given a Model A Book once owned by Vice President Hubert Humphrey.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Monday, August 27, 2018 - 06:02 pm:

Mark...I worked for the Ward's Natural Science Establishment in Henrietta, NY for several years.

It was originally located in Rochester and I believe a lot of Henry Ward's possessions are now in a museum in Rochester.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Monday, August 27, 2018 - 11:19 pm:

I saw Humphrey’s model A once in St.Paul.
He used to delight in having polititions out to his farm and then give them a fast ride across corn stubble in the A.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration