Another what the heck is this

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Another what the heck is this
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Saturday, August 25, 2018 - 12:21 pm:

looks like some kind of spare tire bracket
made by stone mfg. co Chicago
says 3 in
any ideas, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Saturday, August 25, 2018 - 12:58 pm:

A search indicates the Stone Mfg. in Chicago has manufactured apparel since 1932. They also invented a labor saving device for the sewing machines they used in their operation. This may be a machine part that was used in manufacturing apparel. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, August 25, 2018 - 01:11 pm:

It might be a duplexer that will allow you to hang two demountable rims/tires on one spare tire carrier.

Stone-Thompson was a spin off of Universal Rim Co. and a manufacturer and wholesaler of demountable rims and parts.

Stone-Thompson Mfg. eventually changed their name to Stone Mfg.

Click on this link to see a period trade journal ad from 1920:

https://books.google.com/books/content?id=Ie8yAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA791&img=1&zoom=3&hl= en&sig=ACfU3U3J6cP1uZC8I_edhcCaj7D4DTuSYw&ci=7%2C19%2C965%2C1552&edge=0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, August 25, 2018 - 01:20 pm:

Stone Mfg. also made a kit that allowed you to make your non-demountable Ford wheels demountable at the hub. It included a complete wood wheel to use as a spare. See the ad below.

Now that I look at your brackets again, it is clear to me that it is a duplexer for demountable at the hub wheels.

With one complete wood wheel mounted to the spare tire carrier, a second tire can be mounted adjacent to the wheel. Note the part of each bracket fits under the felloe of the spare wood wheel while the other part of each bracket fit the bead of the extra tire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, August 25, 2018 - 01:22 pm:

I had some demountable at the hub wheels years ago but I sold them.

Click this thread and scroll down to see the wheels and hubs.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/316790.html?1350189894

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, August 25, 2018 - 02:40 pm:

Perhaps this will help:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/332859.html?1357569048

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration