Grease Qwestion

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Grease Qwestion
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lorenzo leon on Saturday, August 25, 2018 - 09:35 pm:

I have been using the QUAKER STATE grease on my T and i cant seem to find this grease in any auto part store ,I can get the VALVOLINE one with the same NLG!-GC-LB # but it is red,.Can i mix these grease or do i have to clean out one to use the other
Thank You Lorenzo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Saturday, August 25, 2018 - 11:02 pm:

I found out the hard way that certain types of grease are non-compatible and when mixed together, become thin, almost watery. -Oddly, the two types I mixed together were both red. -Ergo, not all red greases are the same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lorenzo leon on Sunday, August 26, 2018 - 06:32 am:

forgot to add [most important part] one is red other honey color,with same#

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Sunday, August 26, 2018 - 07:12 am:

Good article on the different types of greases at

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grease_(lubricant)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Sunday, August 26, 2018 - 04:49 pm:

I will not use the honey/peanut butter colored grease like you show on the right. I had two new front wheel bearings fail in a short time using it. They were not on my T, but on another vehicle. Now I cannot trust that grease and threw away an almost full tub of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Thompson Graham NC on Sunday, August 26, 2018 - 07:29 pm:

Grease is nothing but oil and some form of soap..
With that said some of those soaps don't like
Each other and will dissolve. It is best to pick one and stick with it. I like the red. Philip

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Sunday, August 26, 2018 - 08:19 pm:

You canít go wrong with the red Valvoline. Like oil, grease breaks down and becomes ineffectual over time so, instead of risking mixing new red grease with old worn out and possibly incompatible amber grease, it would be best to clean out the old grease and add the new fresh red grease. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Dostal on Sunday, August 26, 2018 - 09:05 pm:

The color in grease is just used to help identify the grease, it has nothing to do with the base. Both of these greases are lithium base. they can be mixed without any problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Monday, August 27, 2018 - 08:14 am:

I thought any grease was better than none at all. You guys brought up a subject that I have never heard of. I always blamed bearing failure on power grease guns, because I can't tell if they are putting out grease. Dad said bearing failure was because a grease worm got in there

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration