17-23 wood frame question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: 17-23 wood frame question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ryan on Sunday, August 26, 2018 - 04:12 am:

Iím doing research on a 1923 touring body. I need the measurements of both the red and blue lines on this photo. This is the very front pillars by the fire wall.
Can anyone help with this?
Thank you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Sunday, August 26, 2018 - 09:51 am:

At the very least, this is earlier than '23. On the '23 the upper piece between the cowl and side was metal with a wood filler for tacking interior, and the lower front body mount was metal that took the place of some wood on earlier cars. It almost looks like the rabbeted groove for floor boards is too high. Are you working from plans or replicating old wood? These pix taken from '23 roadster, low cowl.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, August 26, 2018 - 10:28 am:

Ryan

Here are those dimensions off Ray Miller plan, measured from the full size pattern of the dash pillar for the low hood '21-'23. The parts are two pieces, the 2" measure on the print is the overhang of the upper pillar block.

Hope this helps

As with many Ford wood body frames, the dimensions and fit of the pieces will vary body to body.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Sunday, August 26, 2018 - 10:38 am:

Dan

thanks for posting

I did not realize the dramatic difference between the touring and roadster for those years.

It also illustrates my suspicion that there is something very wrong with the wood notched into the pillar at mid-point.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, August 26, 2018 - 11:51 am:

Scott

Glad to help, yep, seems that body frame has the floorboard shelf added high up for some reason, maybe this wood frame is for something like a truck or hack or?

The normal shelf for the large flat floorboard is cut into the top inner edge of the main sill.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, August 28, 2018 - 09:44 am:

With the variations of the bodies during this time period you may wind up doing what will fit up the best on your car.

Another thing to remember is the body sheet metal isn't all exactly alike. That can make a slight difference how things go together also. You're off to a good start and it's looking great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, August 28, 2018 - 10:06 am:

Ryan how about a photo from the inner side, something does not look quite right, could just the the angle the photo was taken.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Tuesday, August 28, 2018 - 06:59 pm:

I couldnt imagine doing a rewooding job without those Mel Miller plans. I must have referenced them hundreds of times when doing my touring car, almost wore them out. They are an invaluable resource!!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration