Any safe towing vehicle to be purchased new for less than $45k?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Any safe towing vehicle to be purchased new for less than $45k?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Cicciarelli on Monday, August 27, 2018 - 12:09 pm:

I am researching tow worthy vehicles and Im a bit disheartened by what I am seeing. Id really prefer something other than a pickup as it will mainly be used as a family vehicle. A Ford Explorer only has a towing capacity of 5000 lbs which seems awfully close to a loaded enclosed trailer. A for Expedition, best rated towing SUV with 9000 lb capacity starts at $55k. I think every other make Ive seen will run at LEAST $45k on up. I have looked at past threads but most everyone uses a big pickup. I appreciate any suggestions I may have overlooked.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, August 27, 2018 - 12:18 pm:

Rick,

I'm not sure there's very much out there new under $45K. But I do agree with you on the notion using a tow vehicle that has a tow capacity about equal to what you're towing is a bad idea. I like to see a good margin of daylight between those two numbers.

I know you're interested in a new vehicle, but have you checked out any 2 year old lease returns? My wife and I just replaced our 13 year old family car with a lease return and couldn't be happier. It's like new at about 60% of the price.

God luck!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Monday, August 27, 2018 - 12:18 pm:

I looked at purchasing a new tow vehicle to replace my 2004 Ford F250 CC long bed V10. The most cost effective vehicle was the Dodge RAM with the 6.4L hemi, same configuration. With my company discount I was looking at $48K minimum. That does not include tax and licensing. So for now I'm keeping my old truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, August 27, 2018 - 12:36 pm:

Ford sells what they call a work truck for about 10,000 less than a nicely equiped pick up. Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Cicciarelli on Monday, August 27, 2018 - 12:38 pm:

I actually WAS planning on looking at a used vehicle, but again, there are PLENTY of used Explorers out there, but try finding a used Expedition. And again, a used vehicle that has the towing capacity is still going to run $30-40k.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Monday, August 27, 2018 - 12:43 pm:

Rick: I just bought a 2011 ram 3500 With a manual for 14500 With the 6.7 diesel 150,000 miles though.
they are out there be patient and don't jump too quickly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wes Nelson ........Bucyrus, MO on Monday, August 27, 2018 - 01:36 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harry Courtneay on Monday, August 27, 2018 - 01:39 pm:

What about a Tundra---some pretty good prices now

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harry Courtneay on Monday, August 27, 2018 - 01:41 pm:

sorry I didn't see you were excluding pickups

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Monday, August 27, 2018 - 01:53 pm:

Why exclude a pick up? All of them drive as nicely as a car these days, and can haul a minimum of 1/2 ton of lumber, groceries or T parts!

My experience is a bit out of date, but I bought my Ford F150 in 2003 during Ford's annual end of year sale. I used one of those (then new) internet car purchase services and they worked their tails off to suit my needs. I ended up with a plain white F150, complete with AC, AM/FM/cassette, 4.6 liter v-8, auto trans and a towing capacity of 7000 lbs.....for just over $20,000. The dealer even gave me a full tank of gas when I picked it up.

Give it some thought. I believe all the manufacturers offer year end deals now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Cicciarelli on Monday, August 27, 2018 - 03:58 pm:

You wont be finding ANY new pickup for $20k these days. And part of the exclusion of a pickup is due to the fact that it must double as a family car. A crew cab adds to the cost and cuts quite a bit away from a bed. An SUV with three rows of seats seems a much more ideal family vacation vehicle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Monday, August 27, 2018 - 04:16 pm:

Folks who tow that have experience use a big pickup
because pulling isnt the challenge - stopping is - you need
mass to stop a towed trailer regardless of what the auto manufacturers tell you.

I have actually been towing for (12) years now.

My first tow vehicle was a 1990 Suburban 3/4 ton.

After that - Ford F-350 Crew Cab Duallies.

I have had at least (8) trucks - everything from a 460 V-8 gas engine to 7.3 IDI diesel to 7.3 PSD.

I prefer the first generation 7.3 PSD ( 1995-1997 ) with a ZF five speed manual but the E4OD automatic is usually what is available.

I try to find one owner or one family owned trucks not beat to hell or run into the ground.

I recently sold my back up truck - 1995 CC Dually ....

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Monday, August 27, 2018 - 04:20 pm:

A first generation F-350 7.3 PSD comes with a full 8 foot bed and seats at least (5) people.

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Cicciarelli on Monday, August 27, 2018 - 04:25 pm:

FreighTer Jim,
As always I certainly appreciate the experience you have to back your posts regarding towing. That being said, I also have no intention to haul a 24+ foot trailer that can carry multiple cars. I'd be looking at something along the lines of a 16 or possibly 18 footer for a single car, not exceeding the length of a Model T touring. Anything else I 'dream' of one day owning, will be smaller. So while the rules of heavy towing vehicle still applies, a commercial grade dually pickup is likely overkill for my plans.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Monday, August 27, 2018 - 04:54 pm:

Wes Nelson, That truck just screams, Get the hell out of my way! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul wilcox germantown wi on Monday, August 27, 2018 - 04:54 pm:

I picked up a used suburban 1/2 ton 2wd 100k mi for 4k plenty of room and towing capacity

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Monday, August 27, 2018 - 05:20 pm:

Rick,

I do light duty towing.

Average combined weight of trailer & vehicle(s) is about 8000 pounds.

Stopping safely - particularly in an emergency - at highway speeds - is what matters.

Whether you pull 5000 pounds or 8000 pounds or 40, 000 pounds.

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Monday, August 27, 2018 - 05:33 pm:

You could try what I'm using. The new GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel. Handles almost car like and hauls 7700 lbs. It is also the world's most efficient truck. Up to 1165 kms per tank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter McIntyre on Monday, August 27, 2018 - 06:26 pm:

Guys. Rick stated it will be used as a family vehicle. That means the school run, little league and groceries. Firstly, parking big rigs would be difficult, secondly about town or short runs stops and starts mop up the gas. We have a GMC 2500 And I love it but I think long and hard before I do some errands to places with tight parking lots.
Erica

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Cicciarelli on Monday, August 27, 2018 - 06:47 pm:

Dave,

That is quite the road train you have there!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Redelman, Kouts, IN on Monday, August 27, 2018 - 07:24 pm:

Rick, I have a 2006 F150 4X4 with 5.4 and tow our 18'enclosed 8.5 wide 7'6" tall with no problems. I needed a vehicle that would be easier for my wife to get in and out of. Well after much research I bought a 2010 low mileage Mercedes ML350 Bluetec which has a towing capacity of 7700lbs. Dang little 6cyl diesel develops over 400 foot lbs. of torque at 1500 rpm. And brakes are larger than the F150. Bottom line it tows the trailer just fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Juhl on Monday, August 27, 2018 - 07:31 pm:

I have a 2006 Dodge (Mercedes-Benz) one-ton Sprinter van. It has a 5 cylinder turbo-diesel and gets 20-22 mpg solo, 18-19 pulling a trailer. It was a former delivery van we bought used in 2008 and converted the inside to a camper van (adding four windows also). We've taken several trips of 5-6 weeks in it as well as a few shorter ones each year. We use it as the tow vehicle for our Jeep (and now model T) and 21 foot boat. It handles towing like there is nothing there. We also use it as christmas approaches to haul my wife's craft items to various craft shows. Anything too big for our cars goes in the van.

We recently had it repainted - previously it was white. With regular maintenance, such vehicles have been known to go 300-400 k miles. We have 129k on ours.sprinter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Juhl on Monday, August 27, 2018 - 07:35 pm:

Oops! Forgot to mention, paid $28 k for it in 2008 with 26,000 miles on it. Mercedes-Benz took them back after Daimler-Chrysler split. I bet you could find a good, low-mileage van for a reasonable price. Ford also makes a similar-style van called the Transit but the full-size version has only been sold in the US for a few years....much longer in Europe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, August 27, 2018 - 08:58 pm:

Rick...don't overlook the benefits of a nice 4-door crew cab pickup. I almost didn't get this one and am sure glad I did. Great gas mileage without the trailer, not good with, but tows nicely, and very versatile all the way around. Really rides and drives nice. More power than you need with the 5 litre supercharged V8. You can get a '15/'16 for around $30-$35K if you shop around. I'll never have anything but a 4-door truck again!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Monday, August 27, 2018 - 09:08 pm:

Rick, glad you like my road train. The truck is 4500 lbs, the trailer with T is 3500lbs and the travel trailer is 700 lbs. You can barely tell it's there. If it is not for you, I would consider Steve's idea about the diesel Mercedes SUV. I really wanted to go that route myself but I wanted a pickup box for jobs around the house. There's nothing I like more than a small diesel. They do big block work with small car fuel economy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, August 28, 2018 - 12:51 am:

Perhaps of greater importance is the braking system on the trailer. A good set of electric brakes and a suitable controller with manual over-ride will make for the safest combination, regardless of towing vehicle. Properly set up, there needs to be less consideration of the size of the tow car.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, August 28, 2018 - 02:40 am:

I believe you'll be most happy with something like a good used later model Tahoe or other like SUV. The newer ones have very good trailer brake control systems and the wife can easily haul some kids and get groceries.

I agree with Allan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, August 28, 2018 - 09:36 am:

I like options and our 2015 f-250 gives me plenty.Bought used in 16 with 23,000 miles for low 30,000 it is a gas engine 6 speed auto.Full crew cab with folding console we often cary 6 adults.The 6 1/2 ' box works well and it's on the go shift 4 wd.I think the engine is 6.2 and pulling through the mountains it handled our 35' 13,000 pound loaded 5"wheel very well.It will also easily handle our 18' enclosed with the model T or the model A in it.This is also a farm truck which means it will handle whatever task i put it to! It likes gas but it will safely haul or cary! Bud in central Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, August 28, 2018 - 09:41 am:

I like options and our 2015 f-250 gives me plenty.Bought used in 16 with 23,000 miles for low 30,000 it is a gas engine 6 speed auto.Full crew cab with folding console we often cary 6 adults.The 6 1/2 ' box works well and it's on the go shift 4 wd.I think the engine is 6.2 and pulling through the mountains it handled our 35' 13,000 pound loaded 5"wheel very well.It will also easily handle our 18' enclosed with the model T or the model A in it.This is also a farm truck which means it will handle whatever task i put it to! It likes gas but it will safely haul or cary! Bud in central Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, August 28, 2018 - 09:48 am:

Sorry about the double post and i wished i had seen the post from Allan before i posted.Good breaks and control [Ford built in] are a must but there is no reason for hauling sub par and risking the tail waging the dog!!!!!!!!!!!Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John E Cox on Tuesday, August 28, 2018 - 10:39 am:

On my Missouri farm I had a Ford F250 7.3 diesel.
Moved to Arizona and traded it in on a F150.
Decided That I was through towing and traded it in on a Honda Ridgeline which is rated at 5,000 pounds towing capacity. the Honda rides better than my wife's Volvo and the bed will hold a 4x8 piece of plywood. I have since bought a 20 foot enclosed car hauler trailer to hold my 25 pickup which it seems to tow OK. The trailer is two axle with brakes. I plan on using it as storage for the truck as I am a hoarder and am running out of space in my barn. I see a lot of single axle trailers on the road going 80 MPH and wonder if they realize what may happen if they blow a tire.
My next truck will probably be a motorized wheel chair with a box on the back at the rest home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Tuesday, August 28, 2018 - 11:22 am:

If a new one is priced over your limit, why not look at a used newer generation Ford 350 or 450 Transit van or a Dodge or Mercedes Sprinter van. Also, a little older Ford E-350 van might be an option. The potential drawback with the newer Ford Transit vans is I think they're only available with the Ecoboost V6 engine; OK if you like them. The drawback with the Sprinters is that I have seen an awfully large amount of rebuilt engines for them for sale, indicaring they may have weaknesses.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Tuesday, August 28, 2018 - 04:30 pm:

I used to tow with a stock Chevy Astrovan. I think it had a V6. It would pull a T or even something much heavier on the trailer and you almost couldn't feel it back there.

Once whilst going up into the mountains pulling the T I blew out the seals on the tranny. After swapping in a heavy duty transmission cooler all problems ceased and I think it was the best towing vehicle I ever had.

Right now I am using my Tundra 4WD/ manual tranny and am quite happy.

I bet you can find a van similar to the Astro which will work well for you. The Astro was designed for towing the brownie troop or soccer team (both of which we often did!). The design had some major flaws... you had to pull off the front wheels to change spark plugs and you had to disassemble the dash/engine cover to change the air cleaner.

I finally dumped the car because the design of the ABS was flawed... it shut off all braking if a front wheel slid a bit at slow speed while turning. A problem which caused my wife to run into the car in front of her on two occasions (no damage was done and Terrie really wasn't doing anything wrong).

If it wasn't for that badly designed ABS I would have that van still. I considered disabling the ABS by pulling the fuse, but didn't like what I would have to go through in court if I ever had an accident with the brakes tampered with like that.

Mom van... just IMHO, TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Tuesday, August 28, 2018 - 05:48 pm:

Let's see; the vehicles that I have towed with in my lifetime: 68 Pontiac Catalina, 75 F-100, 77-F250, 80 Chevy 2WD Blazer, 83 6.2 Diesel Suburban, 72 Chevy PU, 85 F-250, 87 Ford F-350, 92 Dodge Dakota, 94 Chevy PU, 77 Ford F-350, 2003 Chevy S-10 V6, and 2003 Ford F-150 (2 different trucks). That's it, if I haven't forgotten one. Probably, the best towing vehicle of the lot was the 80 Chevy 2WD Blazer with a 350 and automatic because of the short wheelbase. It made towing, backing, and turning a breeze. Best fuel mileage vehicle was the 83 Suburban with the 6.2 diesel and automatic. Even with 4 WD, I never got less than 19 MPG towing, but avoided mountain routes.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration