Old Photo-Old Orchard, Maine 1912 torpedo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Old Photo-Old Orchard, Maine 1912 torpedo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Monday, August 27, 2018 - 10:07 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan Pfau on Tuesday, August 28, 2018 - 08:19 am:

Thanks for posting this Herb. I'm getting ready to start a 12 torpedo this winter and this is one of the best picture of the top bow sockets I've seen.
Converted to electric lights, a more "modern" horn and that running board looks like that side of the car bottom'ed out at one time. Nice pic'

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, August 28, 2018 - 08:50 am:

That is a very nice photo. The car has seen some tough roads. I think the license plate is a Mass. 1917.
Thanks Herb.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Tuesday, August 28, 2018 - 09:43 am:

I often wonder why the perfection of the earlier torpedo design was abandoned for the rather clunky 1912 edition ? Production costs ? Customer preferences ? Supplier unavailability ? Aesthetic numbness ? What ?!?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Tuesday, August 28, 2018 - 10:54 am:

Great photo.
May very well have B&B John Browns on it. Seems to have the spare anchored to the holes punched in the splash shield and running boards of the later 1912's where you might see B&B. Windshield and such seems black so maybe owner painted to modernize??

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Tuesday, August 28, 2018 - 11:16 am:

Rich, the 1911 style Torpedo and Open Runabout were likely abandoned after one year due to all the unique parts necessary to assemble one -- longer hood and steering column, just about all the fenders and body parts were unique to that model only, in addition to a multitude of other brackets and small parts. It probably didn't fit the template having to stock all those special parts for the sake of producing a separate model for which there was relatively low demand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Tuesday, August 28, 2018 - 11:22 am:

I agree with Richard that it is a Mass. plate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen, Severn MD on Tuesday, August 28, 2018 - 11:53 am:

Notice the flags on the windshield.
Showing their patriotism as we entered the Great War. 100 years ago.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration