Ford? - What Factory?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Ford? - What Factory?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Tuesday, August 28, 2018 - 03:44 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Tuesday, August 28, 2018 - 05:24 pm:

Looks like it might be the Ford Manufacturing Company on Bellvue in Detroit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Tuesday, August 28, 2018 - 08:14 pm:

May be Maxwell

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Tuesday, August 28, 2018 - 08:57 pm:

Looks like my home garage...10 guys standing around asking "What do we do now?"

OR

10 guys standing around my garage asking "Where the freaking BEER?"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, August 28, 2018 - 09:05 pm:

Tim,

I'm 99% sure that the photo has been discussed before. Not that it isn't worth reviewing as I can't find the previous posting.

The car on the right appears to be a Model B Ford. Compare it to the chassis illustration from Bruce's Ford Literature at: http://www.mtfca.com/books/1904.htm

If you look at the dash you will see that cut out on each side of the top of the dash and other features.

While a few Model B's were produced in 1906 -- the majority of them were produced in 1904-05.

On page 7 of 23 in "Pate's Early Ford Automobile Encyclopedia" he shares that the Bellevue Plant was used to manufacture parts. That it was leased in the spring of 1906 for the assembling of the Model N engine and transmissions. Then in the summer of 1907 that process was moved to the Piquette Plant and the Model K engine assembly was moved to the Bellevue Plant.

I believe the odds are in favor of it being the Mack Avenue Plant. But I don't have time to try and track down any additional information to confirm or correct that guess.

I believe Trent, Rob or someone posted a photo of some Model Ks in front of the Bellevue Plant. And that led to a Google search and it was Rob. Please see his thread at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/425419.html?1393360950 where he makes the case for that is the testing building next to the Piquette Plant. And yes you have to go a ways down to see it all. Note page 16 of Robert C. Kreipke's "Ford Motor Company the First 100 Years" has a note that says: "....There were numerous building on the Piquette property, each set aside for specific assembly processes...."

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Tuesday, August 28, 2018 - 09:15 pm:

Hap, that looks Right for the right one :-) Not sure what the one on the left is. May be a Model A?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Tuesday, August 28, 2018 - 09:58 pm:

Thank you Mr. Tucker. Your input is always greatly appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Tuesday, August 28, 2018 - 10:17 pm:

The one on the right might be a Model AC.
I think they had a tank under the hood, not an engine. That was under the seat like the Model A.
So may be they were making Model AC's and Model B's at the same time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Wednesday, August 29, 2018 - 12:32 pm:

Herb, more likely a Model C which had the French Hood. The AC used the same body as the A but the engine, chassis and running gear from the C. Both were 1904 models.

Can anyone zoom in to see if it has the early closed in differential or the later open differential?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Wednesday, August 29, 2018 - 02:54 pm:

I just noticed that there is a 3rd car in the picture in the background between the two in the fore front.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Wednesday, August 29, 2018 - 03:00 pm:

Good eyes Tim. It looks much like the car on the right.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration