Speeking of generators..

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Speeking of generators..
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, August 29, 2018 - 11:59 am:

Has anyone removed the grounded brush and wired the field winding grounded lead to the case like the Model A? It would have one less brush dragging on the armature and should function the same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Wednesday, August 29, 2018 - 05:16 pm:

Wouldn't that remove the necessary ground for the armature circuit?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Wednesday, August 29, 2018 - 05:17 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, August 29, 2018 - 09:09 pm:

Yes it would need the grounding brush. I didn't think it thru. The brush would still need to be in place and a jumper run from it to the plate just to be sure it was grounded. The ground end could then be run to ether the case or brush. Running the ground wire to the case could make it a little easier to assemble. I forgot the A gens have 3 brushes, the field ground wire goes to the case and the ground brush has a braided wire jumper to the plate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john pawlowski - NE Pennsylvania on Wednesday, August 29, 2018 - 09:45 pm:

Ronald, does your diagram represent the normal Model T generator circuit?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Wednesday, August 29, 2018 - 10:52 pm:

Yes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Thursday, August 30, 2018 - 08:34 am:

Yes, but some explanation is required.
This diagram depicts the electrical (not physical) generator/battery charging circuit in the Model T Ford FA starting and lighting system. It represents the five wires in the charging circuit, but individual wire/connections are not shown. The discharged circuits are not shown for clarity. The diagram was prepared by Bob Cascisa at my request to be part of a detailed explanation of how the circuit works. This article/explanation will appear in September/October Vintage Ford Magazine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, August 30, 2018 - 09:17 am:

Thank you Ron for the correction. Sometimes we have to think out loud and ask questions to move ahead.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Thursday, August 30, 2018 - 09:38 am:

Looks a lot like my diagram prepared over five years ago. But, in all honesty, I seem to recall Ron asking to use it for teaching purposes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Thursday, August 30, 2018 - 01:00 pm:

Ken
It is indeed.
Thank you

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration