Lockwire rod caps

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Lockwire rod caps
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CHRIS SHEPPARD on Friday, August 31, 2018 - 02:22 pm:

Added dips to my 19 TT truck and I am having trouble getting carter pins in nuts, can I lockwire the two nuts together or should I get smaller cater pins ? T hanks for any help in advance

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, August 31, 2018 - 03:43 pm:

They are called cotter pins. A standard 3/32 X 3/4 will do the trick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CHRIS SHEPPARD on Friday, August 31, 2018 - 04:29 pm:

Larry 1/16 won't fit I checked the bolts and they are shorter than the rods I took out. The rods that were in the car were heavy rods new ones are light rods. can I use the cap bolts from the heavy rods they fit and have the sufficient length. Sorry about my spelling on the original post that was frustration under the car. In real life I was a machinist. Thanks for any help in advance !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Friday, August 31, 2018 - 06:42 pm:

Several people use self locking nuts, available from McMaster Carr and aircraft supply places. Some people just torque them to the 45 foot-pounds and leave it at that. Next time I take up my rods I will use the self locking nuts.

Neil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Friday, August 31, 2018 - 06:46 pm:

Chris,
To answer your question, yes you can, use all of them to keep the weight/balance the same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CHRIS SHEPPARD on Friday, August 31, 2018 - 10:38 pm:

Thanks to all for the help

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, September 01, 2018 - 06:10 am:

I use small block Chevy rod bolts and nuts. They fit very well and don't need any kind of locking nuts, cotter pins,or safety wire. I figure if they can stand up to the stresses of a SMBC without any kind of extra locking, they should be just fine for a T. And yes, it's Chevy, NOT C###Y or something else. I don't get that. No other brand that I know of is done that way on here . JMHO. Dave

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration