OT - Detroit Street Map?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT - Detroit Street Map?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, August 31, 2018 - 02:24 pm:

I've searched in vain for a detailed Detroit map. The best I've found so far is the MDOT map. As you can see, it lacks detail. If you look for Bobien, Rosa Parks, Piquette, etc., you won't find them. Google Maps will show the detail, but prints out poorly if you want a hard copy. I wonder if somebody who's a better searcher than I am can find a downloadable PDF showing all the streets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RE Helgeson on Friday, August 31, 2018 - 03:12 pm:

Hi Steve,

See if this works for you.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Piquette_Avenue_Industrial_Historic_ District#/map/0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Friday, August 31, 2018 - 04:34 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, August 31, 2018 - 04:34 pm:

That's better than Google. It has the same defect (lack of contrast) but can be improved with a color adjustment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter McIntyre on Friday, August 31, 2018 - 04:35 pm:

Thanks for the map from all of us! Could see ourselves on the freeway in the old car using the directions in the package

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Friday, August 31, 2018 - 11:16 pm:

For those interested in early Ford Companies, the Detroit Automobile Company was a factory north of Amsterdam, west of Woodward (M-1)and south of the railroad tracks. Amsterdam is almost a continuation of Piquette. This facility then became the home of the Henry Ford Company. After Ford left the Henry Ford Company, Henry Leland and the remaining investors changed the name to Cadillac.

Cadillac Motor Car Company

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Juhl on Sunday, September 02, 2018 - 02:45 pm:

Be aware - On Michigan freeways that have a 70 MPH speed limit, the minimum speed is 55 MPH. There are some sections near downtown that are 55 MPH but the limit increase pretty quickly once you leave those areas. If your T is on a trailer, no problem :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Kuczynski on Sunday, September 02, 2018 - 04:30 pm:

Steve, if you need help I'm willing to guide you next weekend. ;)

It's not that hard once you get your bearings. My hardest thing is remembering Jefferson and Fort run east/west, not north south, as you would think they did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Schrage -- Grosse Pte Farms, MI on Sunday, September 02, 2018 - 04:55 pm:

FYI. Oakwood between Beaumont Hospital and THF is slow going -- serious road construction is limiting Oakwood to 1 lane each way. I plan to come in using Michigan Ave to Oakwood.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas Landers NE Indiana on Sunday, September 02, 2018 - 05:10 pm:

Steve, I sent you an email.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Tuesday, September 04, 2018 - 11:50 am:

Anyone planning to visit our neighbor to the south, Canada, while here will need an enhanced drivers license or passport. for entry and return. Also, Canada is very strict on firearms. Leave them in the US.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Brancaccio - Calgary Alberta on Tuesday, September 04, 2018 - 02:33 pm:

If you look on that first map Steve posted you can see where I grew up, just a few blocks west of Ouellette & Wyandotte. We were between the tunnel & the bridge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Tuesday, September 04, 2018 - 05:10 pm:

Rick, I'm in the Pointes, too (City). I usually take Jefferson over to Fort. Far fewer lights.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Schrage -- Grosse Pte Farms, MI on Tuesday, September 04, 2018 - 05:54 pm:

Marty,
I did that route the last 2 years but after a dry run a week ago I plan to take Michigan Ave all the way to Oakwood. When I did the dry run (Fort St vs Mich Ave in my normal car) mileage was identical but about 8 minutes longer taking Fort/Oakwood due to construction. By the way, saw you and Judi pass us at the Harper cruise last week. See you at OCF.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Tuesday, September 04, 2018 - 07:34 pm:

Steve, if you are planning to see the Piquette Plant again on Friday, I'll be there. I am interested in finding a route other than I used last year, to travel from the Piquette Plant to Greenfield Village. We are driving the 21 foot class C RV with the enclosed trailer. The route last year took us through some rough areas. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Wednesday, September 05, 2018 - 04:39 pm:

See you there, Rick!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Wednesday, September 05, 2018 - 05:45 pm:

Ed, to get from Piquette to Greenfield Village, you might try:

1. Piquette to John R
2. South on John R to Warren
3. West on Warren to McGraw, Near 30th Street
4. West on McGraw (shallow left turn from Warren)
5. Continue on McGraw until it turns into Ford Road at Wyoming.
6. Option: Turn left at Wyoming, go one short block south to Michigan Avenue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Wednesday, September 05, 2018 - 06:50 pm:

Thank you, Thomas. That looks like a good route.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration