Hayes Wire Wheels and ACCY brakes

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Hayes Wire Wheels and ACCY brakes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Saturday, September 01, 2018 - 11:12 am:

I have a set of small drum Hayes wire wheels. Question is, using them with accy rear brakes. I do not see a way to attach the extra drum for RM brakes. Will AC brakes work with them? What do yous guys do? Thanks, Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Saturday, September 01, 2018 - 12:16 pm:

Looking at my own Simplex wire wheels, the spokes are too far in-board for AC brakes. They would rub against the bracket. Can’t say if they’d work with the Hayes wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Saturday, September 01, 2018 - 12:27 pm:

Thanks Dave, that was what I was thinking. Any one else have any input? Looks like the wheels will go in the trailer for Hershey. Thanks, Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Saturday, September 01, 2018 - 01:15 pm:

It can be done but requires a lot of careful work. Basically, you need to modify front Hayes wire wheels by installing rear Model T hubs and drums and then further modifying things so the large drum RM brake drums can be used as well. Its been done more than a few times. There isn't much you can do with Hayes rear wire wheels if you want to use outside brakes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Saturday, September 01, 2018 - 01:53 pm:

Thanks Ron. Looks like that they are headed to Hershey. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, September 01, 2018 - 09:37 pm:

Dan, 23" Hayes wire wheels are difficult to locate, rear ones being even harder to find. I applaud your decision not to modify them. Someone will appreciate your consideration.

I could use a pair of rears, but freight would be a killer.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Holman on Wednesday, September 05, 2018 - 12:23 pm:

Any pictures of the front to rear modification?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, September 05, 2018 - 07:33 pm:

Dan, Royce Petersen on the other forum, has a model T roadster that his dad fitted with modified front wheels on the back. He may be able to help.

Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration