Aux. rearend.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Aux. rearend.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Reid Central WI on Sunday, September 02, 2018 - 01:06 pm:

Any ideas on what kind of two speed rear end this is? It is on the drive shaft just ahead of the standard Ford rearend. Is it a Jumbo?Aux. rearend

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, September 02, 2018 - 02:24 pm:

Planitor. Not very reliable from what I've heard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Reid Central WI on Sunday, September 02, 2018 - 03:21 pm:

It is on my 1924 Roadster but not hooked up. It is in the standard Ford gear which is where I plan to leave it. Is there any literature available on it. Is it a Jumbo Planitor? I heard they often go to a neutral and donít shift as well as a Ruckstell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By W. Austen on Sunday, September 02, 2018 - 03:38 pm:

Jumbo Planator - Very good transmission, uses standard Ford gears. Lower ratio than a Ruxstell - Planators don't have a neutral like a Moore has. Yours is a Jumbo not a Starr, and has the better shifter. Very simple and positive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By W. Austen on Sunday, September 02, 2018 - 04:05 pm:

You might want to check this out -
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/366101.html?1370871637

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Reid Central WI on Sunday, September 02, 2018 - 04:06 pm:

Does anyone have a picture of the shifter. This is not hooked up and has no shift lever. Does it mount like the Ruckstell shift lever?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, September 02, 2018 - 04:07 pm:

Unless those are casting flaws, looks like the case has a lot of cracks in it. Seeing the red stuff, I am inclined to think it's cracked.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Reid Central WI on Sunday, September 02, 2018 - 04:14 pm:

Just paint cracking over red primer. No cracks or leaks. It is in the Ford gear and not hooked up. I donít know if it will shift, have never tried it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Sunday, September 02, 2018 - 05:27 pm:

I had a planator on a 1915 that I have sold. It worked fine but only gave lower ratio. I had a low/low and a low/high. Great for parades!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Sunday, September 02, 2018 - 05:59 pm:

I have one on my '27 and it is great for pulling up hills in low high. It is a bit hard to shift on the fly but it gives a true neutral which is handy. I had to make up my own shift linkage and set it up so the shift lever shares a widened slot with the hand brake. I don't have any decent pictures of the set up and am not near the car right now but can take some for you in a week or so. It was not hard but requires some welding and a couple of extra holes in the frame to mount the cross shaft. I could never find any picture of what the factory set up looked like.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By W. Austen on Sunday, September 02, 2018 - 06:54 pm:

The shifter is like a Ruxtell shifter,Catalog page shows a Starr,but list it as as a JumboStarr-Jumbo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Reid Central WI on Sunday, September 02, 2018 - 06:57 pm:

Looks like it mounts at the ball cap/u joint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Morsher on Sunday, September 02, 2018 - 07:17 pm:

Iím working on one right now. Iím impressed with the unit and think it is very well made. I have a damaged part in mine, and Val, if yours has a neutral it is probably because yours is damaged, too. I stole the picture of the undamaged part that I stole from John Steele and Stana Howes earlier discussion. I going to make one part to satisfy me, but if anyone else wants or need one, let me know. Damaged

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Morsher on Sunday, September 02, 2018 - 07:39 pm:

The gearbox is either in direct drive, low, or broken. No neutral

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Morsher on Sunday, September 02, 2018 - 07:41 pm:

The site will not let me load the picture of the good part. Sorry, I can email them, tmorsher@icloud.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Sunday, September 02, 2018 - 07:57 pm:

Wow Tim, I can't believe it. I had mine apart years ago and nothing seemed to be broken. Maybe that is why it is so tricky to shift on the fly. Guess I better sign up for the broken part. It's kind of nice having a true neutral and it doesn't seem to affect the operation of it when it is engaged but I have always been a bit concerned about getting stuck in neutral even though I have lined emergency brakes on the large drum rear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Morsher on Sunday, September 02, 2018 - 10:25 pm:

courtesy John Steele, Stan Howe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Reid Central WI on Sunday, September 02, 2018 - 10:38 pm:

Is that what the fork goes on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, September 03, 2018 - 12:34 am:

I have had two of those here for several years waiting for a rebuild. One is pretty good, one is only so-so and there are several variations in them even tho they are both Starr.

I have a very nice parts one, hopefully I can get two of them together from the three this winter and get it back to the guy in Texas that sent them home with me to redo.

One of the hard parts to find for me was a piece of 9/16ths drill rod. The two pinion reduction gears run on that rod.

They are pretty ingenious, using a lot of Ford parts.

Ruckstell bought the rights from Starr for the Planator and redesigned it and came up with the Ruckstell. Not long after that Starr started building these units. Ruckstell sued him. Lots of court drama and free advertising for both. Starr won but he really didn't care would be my guess. He got enough free publicity out of it to be worth whatever it took for the court case.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Morsher on Monday, September 03, 2018 - 11:05 am:

Yes, Joe, this is the part the fork goes in to shift. Likely the damage is from this shift on the fly nonsense. Why anyone would try that is beyond me, same with the Ruckstell. If you are driving a T, you canít be in a hurry anyway, why do something that has to be so hard on the equipment.
On the positive side, ( Iím an optimist ) it must have happened early on to m8ne, as the gears are in spectacular shape. One of my bronze cages is chewed up from the metal floating g in there, but an easy fix. Probably new bushings throughout ( probably overkill )and the damaged part shown, and Iíll be good to go.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration