Anyone have a good high speed worm gear for sale?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Anyone have a good high speed worm gear for sale?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bartol on Monday, September 03, 2018 - 01:21 pm:

I need a new bronze worm gear for my TT truck; the other one is in pieces. Anyone have one for sale that is in excellent condition? Also, is there any sort of adjustment for the clearance between the worm and worm gear?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Monday, September 03, 2018 - 10:08 pm:

You really need to determine the ratio. I believe there were standard and high speed gears/worms. Then try to purchase a matched set.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Monday, September 03, 2018 - 10:10 pm:

Well

If I wasn't tired, maybe I'd have read your title and paid attention. Very sorry and please disregard my previous post.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Monday, September 03, 2018 - 11:50 pm:

Never seen a bronze worm seem bronze ring gear though
Mixed and matched pairs with no issues
Sorry cant help in locating one but most TT ruckstels had the high speed gears but not all

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Hansen on Tuesday, September 04, 2018 - 03:26 am:

where are you located?
chris

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, September 04, 2018 - 05:45 am:

TTT

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Tuesday, September 04, 2018 - 02:02 pm:

PM Sent

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Tuesday, September 04, 2018 - 07:16 pm:

Worm gears were cast iron or forged. Ring gears were bronze. The low speed worm had 4 wraps and the high speed worm has 6 wraps....where are you located Chris?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bartol on Friday, September 07, 2018 - 10:05 pm:

I'm in Massachusetts. I need the bronze ring gear; according to online diagrams, they call the bronze gear the worm gear and the steel spiral is the worm. I need the high speed gear. Any help appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bartol on Friday, September 07, 2018 - 11:19 pm:

There was a post several years ago about a machinist in Colorado, I think, who was reproducing the gear and worm. I emailed but haven't heard back. Anyone know him or if he's still doing it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bartol on Friday, September 07, 2018 - 11:48 pm:

It was MMS Futurecraft Dynamics in Arkansas. The website is a dead link. Anyone know if they're still in business?

There was also discussion of an early AA worm gear fitting a TT; is this true and can an AA gear be found easier?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Buhler - Kelowna BC on Saturday, September 08, 2018 - 01:44 am:

I have one that looks like it is in good condition and will look at it tomorrow and report back. What are the specs, such as teeth and measurements? Ken Buhler

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Sunday, September 09, 2018 - 09:05 pm:

I have a very good used one. $800. P. M. me if you are interested.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, September 09, 2018 - 11:35 pm:

Chris, As to the AA worm gear, I am not an expert, and know I don't know much about this. I do know that the earliest AA rear ends were a minor modification from the TT design. Many years ago, I saw two of the earliest totally untouched original AA ever seen. The connection to the TT was obvious. Basically, only the spring mountings were different. I suspect (but do not know) that some of the internal parts may have been interchangeable.
However, those rear ends were not used for very long. A "more model AA looking" variation followed that was used for some of '28 and '29. By 1930, a ring and pinion gear type rear end was used on nearly all AA trucks. The early worm drive AA trucks were not very satisfactory and several auxiliary transmission fixes were tried. I don't know how many were factory, or were after-market. But there were overdrives to boost road speed for the extremely low worm drive, and underdrives for some of the later rear ends. The overdrives are prized by AA owners, and quite hard to get (or used to be?).
Most 1928 AAs as well as many '29 AAs had their rear ends changed to later higher geared types when they were fairly new. I have read that Ford authorized replacement by the dealers for those earliest rear ends.

My main point of all this, is to say the likelihood of finding a worm gear from the AA crowd to fit your TT is probably rather slim. There are likely thousands of good gears still left in unchecked TT rear ends. Sadly, many TT people when they have a good one, know how much trouble (and MONEY) it is, to hunt for and actually find good ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Friday, September 14, 2018 - 09:28 pm:

AA Truck bronze gears are .200” wider than TT and won’t fit in TT housings.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration