OT - It's Old Car Festival week. Today, Benson Library

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT - It's Old Car Festival week. Today, Benson Library
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, September 05, 2018 - 08:14 am:

Dean Yoder and I arrived late last night, after leaving Iowa City after 4;00 pm with two Model K. Hope to have all four running K's in North America at OCF this weekend.

Todays agenda includes time at Benson Library at THF. On the agenda, looking for more early Ford tidbits, including this "missing link."

In this early February 1907 article Henry Ford reports FMC is planning a $1250 "medium priced" six cylinder touring car "along the lines of the four-cylinder runabout."

While we have articles from the summer of 1908 about Henry Ford driving about Detroit with his six cylinder NRS style roadster, I had not seen a report about such a creation this early. This gives some credence to suggestions that this was possible Model J. I had personally thought this six couldn't be early enough to receive a pre-K (or N for that matter) letter. However, this article suggests to me that Ford may have been planning a small six as early as they did 1906-08 models K and N.

Anyway, time to get down in the weeds and find new tidbits at Benson Library. Hope to see many forum members this weekend.

The surviving small six as it looks today:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Wednesday, September 05, 2018 - 08:19 am:

Rob
Detroit Model T Club is meeting tonight at Piquette Plant 6:30 pm. If you or anyone else I town for the OCF wishes to attend you are welcome..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, September 05, 2018 - 09:25 am:

I think its interesting the [small six] has a timer elevator on it? Wishing all cool dry weather and no breakdowns! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, September 05, 2018 - 10:31 am:

Bud, the first couple of Model N also had front cam mounted timers. Wish they had kept them there....

We have arrived.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Wednesday, September 05, 2018 - 11:19 am:

Glad you’re out having fun. It nice to see the old cars out on the road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Wednesday, September 05, 2018 - 03:51 pm:

Rob, looking forward to seeing you and other form members at OCF. And, oh, yeah, my Model K ride!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, September 05, 2018 - 05:32 pm:

Rob,It sounds like save a little here and there was also pre T! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, September 06, 2018 - 04:39 am:

Federio Pabst must have gotten over-excited at the prospect of seeing so many cars. Anyone else spot his headline spelling of California! It's not often that stuff appears in the old time press. More like a modern affliction.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, September 06, 2018 - 10:18 am:

Leaving tonight for Detroit. See all you guys at the OCF on Saturday, and a wet Sunday?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, September 06, 2018 - 10:23 am:

Somebody bring a hand brake clevis, pin and cotter pin for Steve Jelf so that he can hook up his hand brake! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, September 06, 2018 - 10:43 am:

Soggy trip to Benson Library today. Fordunately, we have a car for all seasons....

(no music.... :-) )
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xem3h4etnunqal6/Video%20Sep%2006%2C%2010%2039%2055%20AM.mov?dl=0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Thursday, September 06, 2018 - 11:46 am:

Rob, That picture with top and side curtains is really nice! Thanks for posting it....

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Thursday, September 06, 2018 - 12:19 pm:

Neither rain, nor snow, nor Michigan traffic will keep Rob from his quest at the library. Wish I could be there, but some of us have to work this weekend. Maybe next year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Thursday, September 06, 2018 - 12:21 pm:

Top up or down, the K looks great

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter McIntyre on Thursday, September 06, 2018 - 08:36 pm:

Great video. Loved the sound of the engine etc. Put me in the no music group. Cheers pete

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Thursday, September 06, 2018 - 08:57 pm:

Yes, the sound of the engine makes you feel like you (me) are right there along for the ride too! Thank You

Cheers,
Willis

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration