Ot, clutch release ring, Need help

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Ot, clutch release ring, Need help
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Bente on Thursday, September 06, 2018 - 09:26 pm:

this is T related, due the fact that I tried to modify a Model T clutch release ring to fit.
the holding pin on the T ring is 3/8" and I need 7/8" for a firm fit. This is for a 1911 model 33 Buick. Any advice or the actual fork, is appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry K. Lee on Thursday, September 06, 2018 - 09:38 pm:

Robert,

Is your question, the length is 7/8" at the shaft? And are they meant to be in two pieces? Harden steel, be better?

Can be fabricated from scratch pretty easily.

All the Best,

Hank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Bente on Thursday, September 06, 2018 - 10:24 pm:

Hank, sent pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Eastwood on Thursday, September 06, 2018 - 10:45 pm:

Have a new one waterjet cut from brass or bronze plate, leaving the material sticking out for the pins & then machine them round.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Friday, September 07, 2018 - 12:02 am:

Ampco 18 (CDA 954)bronze plate and do what Peter suggested.
Here is a link to McMaster-Carr catalog page.
https://www.mcmaster.com/bronze-plates

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry K. Lee on Friday, September 07, 2018 - 07:15 am:

Robert,

I did not receive the PM. Try hankpattylee@bellsouth.net

Hank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Bente on Friday, September 07, 2018 - 04:33 pm:

I took advice and went to a machine shop that had a water jet. The quote for having one made $350 and a bargain of $500 for the pair.
I think Iíll shop around. Any advice on vendors that might stock something like this?
r/s Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Friday, September 07, 2018 - 04:56 pm:

Cut the pins off the T shoes, then drill holes in the shoes, maybe 1/4 diameter. Make two stepped pins of the correct diameter and length then silver braze them to the shoes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Friday, September 07, 2018 - 05:52 pm:

To make a single pair, it seems like a band saw would do the trick, and stay within budget too. Start by milling material to proper thickness, saw profile, then cut posts in the mill with a boring head. Those parts are small enough to get away with using a small mill/drill machine, or even a milling attachment in the lathe. Donít see any need for special equipment this time

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Friday, September 07, 2018 - 06:17 pm:

Braze those puppyís up. Dress them back to original specks. Shouldnít take more than a couple of hours. If you need help 903 824 1949

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Bente on Friday, September 07, 2018 - 08:27 pm:

Thanks for the suggestions. They are all good ones. I have to go with what my resources allow. I think I may go with Timís method. I would prefer Kevinís, but as stated on another thread, my mentor lost his shop and with it, the tools to make it happen. Iím still new to this hobby, but, Iím all in with vigor. Lacking some vital equipment.
The model t bronze clutch release ring, can I silver solder, bronze to bronze, bronze to steel?
r/s Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, September 07, 2018 - 09:22 pm:

Why not braze the old ones up and file to fit. You can get brazing rod that is for hard wear surfaces.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Bente on Friday, September 07, 2018 - 10:10 pm:

Mark, last time brazing was in high school. I donít remember.
r/s Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, September 07, 2018 - 10:32 pm:

Do some practice runs. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Bente on Friday, September 07, 2018 - 11:11 pm:

Mark, You are on track, I need to learn and relearn many things. In the mean time, Iíve a project that has been a year in progress. Itís the small stuff thatís a challenge.
r/s Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Sunday, September 09, 2018 - 10:24 pm:

Harris SafetySilv 45 can be used to braze steel to bronze. Ordinary brazing rod can be used on steel or cast iron.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration