Wood bed for a '25 PU Roadster

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Wood bed for a '25 PU Roadster
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Heiser on Sunday, September 09, 2018 - 11:17 am:

As my T enters into another stage of resto, I am strongly considering a complete wood bed. For 2 reasons, I think it really looks good as a contrast on the truck, breaking up the body color. And the old steel bed is rusted out and really beat up bad. The wood box was a owner option in '25 to retrofit one on so it still stays with some originality.
The kits sold by the aftermarket suppliers, that I am aware of are quite expensive (complete with pre-cut wood, fasteners and brackets).
Is there an option just to buy the brackets & fasteners anywhere? I would just as soon buy the lumber locally, treat and install myself.
Appreciate any thoughts on this
Last winter I installed new hickory spokes. Quite a process, but I think it turned out well.
As far as color, I have a hard time staying with black as original and am strongly considering the gunmetal grey that Ford had available as a color choice in '27. Black running boards, fenders though.
Gimme input & thoughts guys. I'll post progress pics as they develop.'25 T PU Roadster Wheel-respoke

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, September 09, 2018 - 11:32 am:

https://www.modeltford.com/model-t-parts/pickup-bed/

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50893/73245.html?1227296813

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Morsher on Sunday, September 09, 2018 - 11:42 am:

Dave,i have a really nice original bed, it would drop tight on an original car. It would als9 be a very easy one to refinish. For lots of pictures, in case you make your own, or are interested , tmorsher@icloud.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Sunday, September 09, 2018 - 11:44 am:

I made one to look like something like a farmer would have made in the 20's or 30's when a "BIG" chunk of Bondo fell off the turtle deck. Some people like it others think I should fix the turtle deck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, September 09, 2018 - 05:46 pm:

Jerome Hoffman is making repro bed hardware to match what's on mine.

pu

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By doug hauge upstate NY stittville 13469 on Sunday, September 09, 2018 - 09:04 pm:

I can bring a nice original one to Hershey if you want, e mail me if you want me to bring it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn-Colorado on Sunday, September 09, 2018 - 10:43 pm:

Tim, that looks like my bed. Nice one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, September 09, 2018 - 11:53 pm:

David, this trayback requires no special hardware, until you want to add sideboards.

lots more useable space too.

Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration