That's A Lot Of Bodies! - OT Old Photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: That's A Lot Of Bodies! - OT Old Photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Sunday, September 09, 2018 - 01:40 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Sunday, September 09, 2018 - 02:29 pm:

My wife is home schooling my 4 years old granddaughter. Right now Terrie is collecting graphics for counting by 5’s. I don’t think she would appreciate this one!

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Sunday, September 09, 2018 - 02:39 pm:

Flu epidemic of 1918 perhaps? It took more lives then the great war.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Sunday, September 09, 2018 - 03:22 pm:

Empty coffins is my guess. They are being handled too easily to have bodies in them. Unless of course the two guys in the photo are exceptionally strong.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Sunday, September 09, 2018 - 03:37 pm:

Here is another one right on my street. The factory was big so I guess it supplied a lot of funeral homes for miles around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Sunday, September 09, 2018 - 04:20 pm:

The hood of the truck has lettering. I can read "casket co." I cannot make out the name however

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By W. Austen on Monday, September 10, 2018 - 08:57 am:

I have seen a similar photo From the 1918 Flu epidemic - did you get your shot?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, September 10, 2018 - 09:12 am:

I can almost see "San Francisco Casket Co."
What do you think?
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Monday, September 10, 2018 - 02:41 pm:

Denny, I'm thinking you are right. Spanish Flu epidemic. Wish my grandparents were still alive. Wondering how they managed, living in a city and not getting it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Monday, September 10, 2018 - 02:55 pm:

Clint Eastwood was in town.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Monday, September 10, 2018 - 02:59 pm:

Also, over the door to the left of the truck it looks like it reads “San Francisco...”. On the window to the left of the door, too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Monday, September 10, 2018 - 03:09 pm:

Empty coffins on a truck labledb SanFrancisco casket co, also it is above the door on the building. They are receiving or sending out empty coffins.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Monday, September 10, 2018 - 03:11 pm:

http://www.shorpy.com/node/20422

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Monday, September 10, 2018 - 04:01 pm:

The flu epidemic lasted several years. In 1920, it took one, if not both, of the Dodge brothers.

My maternal grandmother was born in 1903. She lived with me for the last twelve years of her life. She was born in Brockton, Mass. and grew up in Pawtucket, RI. The stories she told of the flu epidemic were no less than horrific.

The thing that sticks out in my mind, is when she told me of the corpses that were piled at the curbside, because there were so many that had died from the flu, the mortuaries were all full and there was nowhere to take the dead.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, September 10, 2018 - 04:46 pm:

Wow, what detail in the Shorpy photo. You can read "Federal" clearly. Those were great trucks.
"The company was founded in 1910 as Bailey Motor Truck by Martin L. Pulcher, who would later found the Oakland Motor Car Company. The last Federal vehicle made for the US marketplace was made in 1959" according to Wikipedia.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Monday, September 10, 2018 - 08:38 pm:

I'm sorry to ask this but there are flat spots in San Francisco?
Actually, the footage I've gleaned from the net of the 06? earthquake shows a beautiful landscape if everything wasn't destroyed.
Sorry again, absolutely beautiful wooden caskets in the first photo. Terrible time.
Morbid part: Some fresh stain to smell-up the funeral home and put my body in when it's my time to meet the maker. Or St Peter, depending.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration