Late Driveshaft Bolts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Late Driveshaft Bolts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - 11:31 am:

I did a little research Monday at the archives. The head size on the new style driveshaft roller bearing housing changed from 5/8 to 9/16 across the flats on June 5, 1924. For those who have tried it, you can't get a socket on the 5/8 style.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - 01:17 pm:

Larry

Thanks for that date of change, good info.

This early housing (1923) used the 5/8" head hex bolt and you do have to use a open end wrench.

Later, this one '27 with 9/16" head hex bolt easy to use a box wrench or socket!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, Prescott, AZ on Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - 01:22 pm:

Have a mixed set on my ‘26, four are 5/8” and two are 9/16” heads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - 02:35 pm:

I bought a bunch of driveshaft bolts at Chickasha and did notice the difference in the head size on a few of them. The guy was leaving on the 2nd day and was getting rid of cans of bolts and I got a bunch for $ 2.00. And a lot of misc. T bolts to boot!
Nice to know it because of a Ford design change. And yes you can't get a thin wall socket on a 5/8 either. I did try it to no avail.

I wonder how they kept up on the assembly line using open end wrenches on the bolts!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - 04:04 pm:

Can one of you tell me what kind of thread these bolts [studs ] are .
Thanks
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - 05:41 pm:

I’ve never had a problem getting a socket on the 5/8” bolts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - 05:44 pm:

Toon

13/32" x 16 thread, hex head bolt, length 4 5/8".

Uses a lock washer under the hex head.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - 09:39 pm:

Adam, try it again! A socket will definitely not work. Of course if the bolt is not connected to the spool, of course you can get a socket on it!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration