Gear Lube in a Ruxstell

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Gear Lube in a Ruxstell
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon on Friday, September 14, 2018 - 11:29 pm:

What is the recommended fluid in the Ruxstell rear axle, is it 600W ?
Is there any substitute ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charles oakland on Friday, September 14, 2018 - 11:34 pm:

I ruined a ruxstell once using 600 weight and was told by others that it is not able to flow thru reduced oil holes. So thru other instructors I use 90/140. Seems to work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Severn - SE Texas on Saturday, September 15, 2018 - 12:05 am:

I'll second that. There is 90/140 in mine, too.

Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon on Saturday, September 15, 2018 - 12:12 am:

That's a lot easier to find...I would like to change it, no major hemorrhage that I see. Knowing my dad, it was probably filled 40 years ago and that was the end of it. I now it has modern axle shaft bearings and a grease fitting on the U-joint. Shifting is an art, especially downshifting with a Ruxstell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Saturday, September 15, 2018 - 01:10 am:

I use 85/140 in mine. Just make sure it is up to the bottom of the fill hole. If you let it get down a little bit it can be too low to get into the Ruckstell housing and give sufficient lubrication to the planetary gears in there. My level was too low and I toasted the Ruckstell, but the ring and pinion had plenty of oil and were fine, it was just too low to get into the planetaries.

Dave, downshifting is done under load or power. When going uphill, don't touch the throttle, pull back on the shifter and put the clutch in and out. It will shift right into the lower gear. If you are in high and coming to a stop, pull the stick back just before you come to a complete stop, just the last few feet of rolling as you put in the clutch, and it will click right in without any noise or grind.

Up shift like a modern car. Close the throttle as you put in the clutch, move the lever forward, let out the clutch, and apply throttle. Very smooth easy, quiet shift.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Saturday, September 15, 2018 - 05:03 am:

I avoid oil with 'EP' additive in my TT Ruckstell. Make sure you get "non-EP" oil as the EP thing/goo/stuff erodes any bronze components in your diff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Chuplis on Saturday, September 15, 2018 - 08:13 am:

GL-4 is difficult to find on the store shelf but is still available. GL-5 has the potential to ruin brass/bronze but it would take extreme heat to have any effect. I don't know if a differential or transmission, in good condition, could get hot enough for it to be an issue but imagine it will remain hotly debated for decades to come :>)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, September 15, 2018 - 10:27 am:

I've been using straight Sta Lube 140 for years, with no problems. If you fill to the filler hole, you will have oil running out your axle shafts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon on Saturday, September 15, 2018 - 10:41 am:

Jeff, I don't have much trouble shifting it, I've got it down pretty good. The hard part is downshifting if you need to stop kinda fast. I have 26 rear brakes and can pull the park brake if absolutely necessary. But normally stopping...it doesn't stop well in high gear with the foot brake.
Getting rpm and drivetrain speeds the same is the trick, kinda like a semi truck.

Thanks everyone for the info.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Reid Central WI on Saturday, September 15, 2018 - 11:54 am:

I thought 80/90wwas what was recommended, maybe 140 in a hot climate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon on Saturday, September 15, 2018 - 01:06 pm:

80/90 is hypoid and 85/140 is usually synthetic.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration