Imagine my surprise

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Imagine my surprise
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brooks Schlieben on Saturday, September 15, 2018 - 08:07 pm:

Painting the demountable rims this weekend, and removed one from the back, left rear. A previous owner solved the problem of loose/rotting spokes by sinking screws at the felloe on all the spokes.
Need to address this, like now!

Felloe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Saturday, September 15, 2018 - 08:52 pm:

And they are not even period correct screws! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Reid Central WI on Saturday, September 15, 2018 - 10:58 pm:

Does it wiggle?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brooks Schlieben on Sunday, September 16, 2018 - 04:31 am:

Hey Joe,

No, actually it does not. Saw this quite by accident, yesterday. I'm still finding little things a previous owner did to cut corners. One was when he welded the fan shaft back together after it had broken. I was relieved to see that when it broke again, and my fan came off, that it didn't puncture my radiator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon N.E.Ohio on Sunday, September 16, 2018 - 05:58 am:

I think I would be pulling the rest of the rims...that's kinda scary !! I have heard stories of wood wheels breaking on turns, without being Jimmy rigged.
I probably have some restorable wheels and a couple that need very little work. Brother will have some at Hershey...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martynn Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Sunday, September 16, 2018 - 06:44 am:

This is exactly the same problem Derrick Pang has with his 21 Runabout. That particular fix it a temporary measure you do to get you home or something, not something to drive around on for years on end with. The only reason anybody would make that particular fix would be dry rot on the tennon…which looks to be the case too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-Southeast US on Sunday, September 16, 2018 - 06:58 am:

A lot of guys on here get WAY too safety conscience about a lot of things, in my opinion. However, THAT is something I would NOT drive on, whether it wiggled or not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Sunday, September 16, 2018 - 10:28 am:

I did that one time. I had a wheel I was using temporarily on my 14. It's 30X3 1/2 but with a front hub. I got in some sand and the rim came loose and got sideways on the felloe. I kicked it back straight and drove back home (I was real close to home). I screwed a long screw through everywhere there was a spoke thinking they might bind it all together but I bought another, correct, wheel first chance I got. Must've been a good tube because I didn't use a flap, only duct tape.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Reid Central WI on Sunday, September 16, 2018 - 10:09 pm:

The key to any spoke repair would be the condition of the wood. Where the top is frayed it looks like the wood could be punky. You could use a dowel and epoxy if the rest of your wood is solid. Also in the hub area I have seen epoxies injected to tighten up loose spokes as well as tightening the hub bolts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeff cordes on Monday, September 17, 2018 - 01:18 am:

I did that to a wheel somewhere in Tennessee in a Walmart parking lot back in 08 on the way back from the centennial. I went in Walmart and got a box of deck screw and 3 tubes of fast epoxy. The fix got me the 400 miles home.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration