Motor saved by a SNAKE!!!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Motor saved by a SNAKE!!!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Davis-Williams - Lake City, MI on Sunday, September 16, 2018 - 08:40 pm:

Tonight a snake saved my motor. Yes, a SNAKE! We decided to go for a pre-dinner drive to a local logging ghost town. Bouncing down the seasonal road I spotted a snake. My three year boy was in the back seat so I decided to stop and check it out. Just a little one footer, but my son was nonetheless impressed. As we were piling back in the car I noticed a big dark puddle under the car...

Climbing under I found a near constant drip coming from the starter. YIKES!!!!

Pulled into the grass and shut her down. Obviously the bearing or at least the seal is toast. Unfortunately, the three year old needed to get home and to bed on time...sooo.... JB Qwik weld over the hole and also around the dust band (wish I had permatex for the dust band...)

Then came the oil check. No oil from the bottom petcock after 20 min of sitting..
It took 3 1/2 quarts to fill to the top petcock! The bottom of the car is an oily mess (even by Model T standards).

Boy am I happy that we stopped for the snake!

We made it back home after his bed time, but no apparent otherwise. The car ran like a top. Thank goodness I always fill it to the top petcock...it saved my butt tonight having just a little extra oil.

ALSO,thank God for Grandma who brought us more oil...

This leak is brand new, but earlier today the car was used for some senior pictures and one of the kids accidently hit the starter floor button while it was idling and the car stalled. I wonder if that was enough to break it loose?

Oh well, I got lucky. Tomorrow I'll have to figure out how to undo my JB Weld mess to fix it, but that's better than a new engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Sunday, September 16, 2018 - 09:13 pm:

Mine had a steady stream when we stopped for breakfast....Quickly traced it down to the Bendix cover the screws had loosened

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas Landers NE Indiana on Sunday, September 16, 2018 - 09:16 pm:

George glad your engine is ok. Thanks for the snake, oil story.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Sunday, September 16, 2018 - 11:19 pm:

Glad you caught it but I was kind of hoping this thread would be about replacing a broken fan belt with a hoop snake.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Sunday, September 16, 2018 - 11:43 pm:

So thats what those new thingies do
Glad you and son and your car safe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Monday, September 17, 2018 - 01:33 pm:

Very glad this turned out OK, George !! That's probably the worst thing that can happen to a T - somehow lose all fluids while driving. Petcock fell out of my radiator last summer, lost all the water. We were in the hayfield changing the irrigation, I almost went for a "spin" around the section, but decided not to. Lucky !! She got hot enough to fry eggs, but thankfully no harm done.

"I carry a hip flask in case of snake-bite. I also carry a small snake." - W.C. Fields

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RICHARD GRZEGOROWICZ on Monday, September 17, 2018 - 02:22 pm:

Im thinkin your tool box is ready for anything,Jb weld, that's one thing i don't have in my tool box,will, after tomorrow.hope there's room,A model t is like a HARLEY,in this way, all screws bolts need checking every once in a while,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Davis-Williams - Lake City, MI on Monday, September 17, 2018 - 07:18 pm:

Thanks guys! Tim, if I used it around the pullies it would have been an official Model T serpantine belt!

We'll rank that with the snake oil observation! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, September 17, 2018 - 10:35 pm:

George, same situation when I bought my first T. Drove about 10 Miles it spit and sputtered because the tank had rust in it and it blew the old starter gasket out and I never new it was leaking until I stopped at a stop sign. Checked oil and it had none. Filled it up still runs great..

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration