Clattering noise with braking

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Clattering noise with braking
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harley Morgan MD on Monday, September 17, 2018 - 12:15 pm:

Ok lets see if this works
https://youtu.be/YJTT3D640i8
Thi is a youtube link to video
Demonstrating a clattering noise as I apply
brake pedal going either forward or back
Diagnostic thoughts appreciated
1922 Touring converted to pick up
Still working on chugging problem in high gear
Second link below shows my car
https://youtu.be/aPPqamVAdJM
Novice but learning
Would not turn over when I got it
Harley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, September 17, 2018 - 12:34 pm:

It's probably the classic problem with the rear axle - the thrust washers inside the differential tends to break with age, since they're made of bad babbitt and thus the whole diff can move sideways and let the pinion slip when braking - or maybe even when pulling up a hill. Don't drive it anymore, it's unsafe - time to pull the axle for an overhaul.

A dirty job, but since it's such an uncomplicated rear end it's much easier to work on than more modern differentials.
MTFCA sells a manual "Front and Rear axle" written by Glen Chaffin that helps a lot.

(Message edited by Roger K on September 17, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman, Rochester, NY on Monday, September 17, 2018 - 12:54 pm:

I thought it was chattering

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Nunn, Bennington NE on Monday, September 17, 2018 - 01:00 pm:

That could also be a worn u-joint and/or a worn driveshaft bushing. Remove the plug behind the u-joint and check for looseness in the driveshaft. I did that on my car and I could move the driveshaft up and down about 1/4". A total rear end rebuild is planned for this winter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Monday, September 17, 2018 - 07:15 pm:

Harley,

I am going to go with the "you need to rebuild the rear end" theory. Jack up the rear end and see if you can move the wheels in and out. Any movement is not good. Put the engine in neutral (brake lever back) and block one wheel. Move the other wheel back and forth to see if you can isolate the source of the problem.

Where you driving when you took the video or did you have the rear end up in the air? If you were driving you might try jacking up the rear end and repeating the experiment. You might be able to locate the source of the problem that way. Use reliable jack stands so the car will not jump off the supports while the rear wheels are moving.

In any case, heed Roger's advice and fix it before you drive it where loss of brakes could be a problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harley Morgan MD on Wednesday, September 19, 2018 - 09:56 am:

Thanks again for good advice Neil , Mark and everyone
There is about 1/2 inch in and out movement with rear jacked up
Sounds to me like probable noise in differential when I have it in neutral and turn one wheel with the other blocked
Interestingly with car in neutral engine not running The rear wheels catch and won't even turn smoothly either way . That cannot be good
In the video I was driving the car back and forth in driveway.
Will check u joint but I am going to pull the rear end out and proceed with a rebuild or find someone to do it or help me or do it
Looks daunting after reviewing the manual and watching the videos .
Pediatric neurology was easier but here we go . Harley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, September 19, 2018 - 11:04 am:

1/2 inch in and out axle movement is way too much, sounds like your Babbitt thrust washers have broken up and fallen out of place.

If you don't already have them, get the Ford service manual and the MTFCA rear axle book.

https://modeltstore.myshopify.com/products/service-manuals

https://www.modeltford.com/item/T1.aspx

You can do it! If you get stuck or want opinions on the condition of your parts, just post pictures here and folks will chime in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, September 19, 2018 - 11:48 am:

Very definately sounds like slack in the drivetrain. It could be anywhere from the clutch to the wheels. Most likely too much slack in the gears. Start by removing the inspection plate, top of the transmission and look down while someone rocks the car back and forth. Look at the back between the brake drum and the 4th main. The shaft should be tight with the driven plate.
Next check would be the universal joint. Hard to detect wear here without pulling back the whole axle assembly. You can check for endplay in the axles by jacking up the wheels on both sides and pulling in and out on the wheels. They should not move in and out. Could also be a loose hub on the tapered end of the axle, but you should see wobble if that is the case.

If everything you have checked so far seems to be tight, it is time to pull things apart and check and rebuild the assembly. I would recommend the book published by the club. "Rear Axle" or "Ruckstell Axle" for details on how to rebuild.

If you continue to drive the way it is, you could be in for a big accident, so fix it now.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Wednesday, September 19, 2018 - 12:51 pm:

Your thrust washers have failed. Do not drive it again until you pull the rear end and repair it. It's not safe for you and others on the road. The MTFCA book is an excellent resource for the job.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration