6 volt, voltage regulators

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: 6 volt, voltage regulators
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john pawlowski - NE Pennsylvania on Wednesday, September 19, 2018 - 02:35 pm:

I just tried to order a 6 volt, voltage regulator. All the parts houses are no stock back order with no idea when stock would be available. This was also true for the fan belt guide. One part house said aspects stock beginning of next year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Wednesday, September 19, 2018 - 03:01 pm:

Have you tried Funprojects? They have the new type electronic cutout that looks just like the original, but works much better. www.funprojects.com. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john pawlowski - NE Pennsylvania on Wednesday, September 19, 2018 - 03:06 pm:

I went on their website. Also back ordered

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Wednesday, September 19, 2018 - 04:43 pm:

I've had one on backorder from Langs's for over a month.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Wednesday, September 19, 2018 - 06:52 pm:

Lang's just got a shipment in..... or maybe I should keep that to myself... I've been waiting since April.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Thursday, September 20, 2018 - 10:46 am:

Thanks for the update Dave, that is welcome news.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john pawlowski - NE Pennsylvania on Thursday, September 20, 2018 - 04:00 pm:

Funprojects has stock on 6 volt voltage regulators with Ford script. Online site is not up to date.
Thanks to Bill Devine for the information my Regulator should be along shortly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, September 20, 2018 - 04:31 pm:

I'm also waiting for a Generator cutout from Langs. Fun projects was sold and the new owner is apparently slow. I was told when the new cutouts come in I would be notified if I still want the product and if I don't I would get my money refunded. I did find a supplier that had a new American made original style cutout and it works fine. I had ordered a diode cutout and still may get it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JEFF STEVENSON on Saturday, October 13, 2018 - 07:38 am:

I just called fun projects today and spoke to Shawna... as of today they are completely out of stock of all 6v negative ground regs.

Jeff

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Saturday, October 13, 2018 - 08:32 am:

I talked with John Regan at Hershey and he indicated the owner of Birdhaven was seriously injured in some type of accident, now dealing with health issues that have affected the business. I wish him a full recovery, jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Saturday, October 13, 2018 - 08:33 am:

I would try Bob's Antique Auto Parts. Bob Bergstadt has always come through for me when the other suppliers are out of stock. 815-633-7244.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Dizer on Sunday, October 14, 2018 - 05:57 am:

If you are needing a generator cut out, try a farm store, ford tractor dealer, or even your local auto parts store, since the ford 9-8N tractors use the same cutout. They have the same style three brush generator, just belt driven.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Sunday, October 14, 2018 - 09:39 am:

Actually there are 2 basic Ford tractor models that use a cutout. Those are the 9N and 2N but both of those tractor cutouts are not mounted to the generator but are mounted at the base of the steering column with a bolt pattern that does not match up well with the T generator mounting screws. Those vehicles are positive ground so if you buy a diode type cutout of that type it will also not work electrically. If the mechanical relay type cutout then the positive or negative ground issues does not exist. The third "N" tractor is the 8N and it came later and used a 2 brush generator with external mounted voltage regulator rather than a cutout.

Hope this helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, October 14, 2018 - 10:10 pm:

You don't need one!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Monday, October 15, 2018 - 01:07 pm:

I stopped at two Tractor Supply stores this morning and they did not have any cutouts in either of the two stores I checked.

I went on Amazon and ordered some diodes from a company in California. They were made in Italy, cost about $5.00 each, but were shipped direct from China, through the US Postal System to me and they took about 18 days to get here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Monday, October 15, 2018 - 02:07 pm:

I have a brand new one still sitting in a box that I do not need.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Monday, October 15, 2018 - 06:18 pm:

Sent you a note, Jason - I'll take it if it's one of Fun Projects.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, October 16, 2018 - 01:52 am:

Why not just order the Diodes from Langs;
https://www.modeltford.com/item/5055DIO.aspx
or Snyders;
https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/diode-negative-ground

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Wednesday, October 17, 2018 - 08:35 pm:

What is actually inside the modern regulators? Is it just a diode?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Wednesday, October 17, 2018 - 10:41 pm:

It's much more than just a diode. There's probably a comparator IC of some fashion, a zener diode obviously, and some other silicon to clamp the output to ground to protect the generator in case the battery circuit goes open-circuited. There's also gotta be some mind-boggling voodoo going on to provide charging current control.

Why not buy diodes? They don't regulate output of the generator, thus saving it from self-suicide during the aforementioned and unwanted open-circuited battery condition.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis. Tomball Texas on Thursday, October 18, 2018 - 02:08 am:

Goggle "The Fun projects voltage regulator" There is a lot of information on voltage regulators and a reversed engineered ? description and diagram. Quiet a piece of engineering. That took a lot of time. trial and error to develop.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration