Late 1915, early 1916 side lamp questions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Late 1915, early 1916 side lamp questions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Donald Ford on Thursday, September 20, 2018 - 09:45 am:

Good morning to all!

So, as the restoration of my 1916 Model T Touring car continues, amongst other things, I am currently working on my side lamps. I have very little to go by, besides rust and ,now, nice clean metal after media blasting with medium glass beads. My question is this, does anyone know whether or not the inner pieces of these side lamps were originally chromed, to reflect light were they galvanized, perhaps or, painted (I would think not)???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, September 20, 2018 - 12:33 pm:

Nickel plated, or some claim just tinned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, September 21, 2018 - 12:51 am:

Scott, on our Canadian sourced cars the 1915 side and tail light reflectors were round like a diver's helmet, rather than square like the later models. The reflectors were brass and these were nickel plated, but the brass was not polished, so the plating was bright but not shiny.

US production may be different.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Donald Ford on Friday, September 21, 2018 - 12:11 pm:

Thanks Dave and Allan. Allan, one of my reflectors is, indeed, round and after media blasting paint,soot, and the remnants of a mud wasp nest away with medium glass beads, it IS smooth, yellow, brass. As I was carefully media blasting, I THOUGHT that I was catching glimpses of chrome. However, after trying to hand polish the grime away, to find this silvery color, I was never able to find it. Upon resuming media blasting, I continued to catch flashes of silver, which must have been the nickel plating. I am left with a perfect, brass reflector...... which I will now have nickle-plated! I currently find myself watching Richmond struggle against Collingwood!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, September 21, 2018 - 04:14 pm:

I forget who & when, but round reflectors and square reflectors tell who made the lamp, I believe!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Friday, September 21, 2018 - 04:32 pm:

Most of the "early" black w/brass rim sidelamps & into the late teens, the reflector body is round accompanied by a ring of air holes around the chimney - on square body reflector bodies, the holes around the chimney are gone from what I've witnessed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Donald Ford on Saturday, September 22, 2018 - 10:28 am:

Thanks all! I have noticed something else: On one of my side lamp doors, the glass appears to be held in by a round,wire spring-clip, while on the other door, the glass appears to have a metal rim on it that looks like it was soldered in place. Can anyone tell me whether this is a clue as to WHEN a particular side lamp was manufactured or, is this more indicative of WHO manufactured the lamp?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon N.E.Ohio on Saturday, September 22, 2018 - 10:48 am:

Doesn't the top of the lights have the manufacturer name on it below the Ford script ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Donald Ford on Saturday, September 22, 2018 - 11:46 am:

Dave, some do, some don't, and many of these side lamps have been cobbled together, over the decades. For example, I have a rear lamp that has it's clear side glass held in by a steel spring clip, while the red lenses simply has the steel rim that is soldered to the door. I have one side lamp lense that has a spring clip, the other has a soldered steel rim. 2 of my finals have Ford on them, the 3rd has nothing (even under the paint). Perhaps, I am over thinking this BUT, I really would like to make this car be as close as is humanly possible, to the day it rolled of the assembly line. For me, this truly IS a restoration, not just a T that I cobbled together so I can drive it around. The ACCURATE HISTORY, is as important to me as the car, right down to the smallest cutter pin!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hanlon N.E.Ohio on Saturday, September 22, 2018 - 12:31 pm:

Got any pictures ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Donald Ford on Saturday, September 22, 2018 - 02:10 pm:

Of the ol' rust bucket or, the side lamps? Yes, to both. I'm currently disassembling. My approach is to learn as much as I can about each piece, when I remove it from the car restore it, when possible or, replace it, when necessary. I then box each piece up and set it aside until the entire car has been disassembled. By the time I have finished the disassembly, the car will have been completely restored and either I will have become an expert on this particular T, who can easily reassemble it or, I WILL BE DEAD FROM OLD
AGE, having spent so much time on research!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration