Jumbo Giant 3 speed with reverse?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Jumbo Giant 3 speed with reverse?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, September 20, 2018 - 09:00 pm:

Best I can tell the top is marked 1/2 at the rear and 3/R on the front. Shifting feel like an H gate not h. Did they come with reverse? I did a google search and about all I could find was about the special connector. This one is installed in a 24/25 TT.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Thursday, September 20, 2018 - 09:47 pm:

They are okay. Internally most of the bearings are rollers that are all commercially available. The reverse lets you back long distances without holding a pedal down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, September 20, 2018 - 09:54 pm:

Mark

Yes, depending on which Jumbo model you have.

For the car, Jumbo Giant model 333, with 3-speeds forward and reverse. And the simple Model B.C., only 2-speeds forward, in price range to meet the Ruckstell.

For the TT, model 600 and 666, with reverse.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, September 20, 2018 - 10:16 pm:

WOW, Fast. Thank you. I was thinking that they were like the Warford, under-direct-over. Cool! We got this semi restored TT in the shop to get running for a customer and it's the first Jumbo I have been around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Sorenson-Montrose,CO on Thursday, September 20, 2018 - 11:33 pm:

My TT jumbo giant had under-direct-overdrive....and reverse....
Put the trans in reverse ,,,Ruckstell in low,,Then push reverse pedal...Wa-la you went forward and it would climb a telephone pole if it could hang on ....They are perfect For parades...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Friday, September 21, 2018 - 02:19 am:

I have one to consider installing in a project. I was told they are real noisy, are they?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Hills on Friday, September 21, 2018 - 11:36 am:

Dale I ran a Jumbo 3 speed and it was noisy in OD but on par with a Warford, I found another Jumbo with a broken case but the gears looked brand new put them in my other case thinking it would be as quiet as a church mouse it was as noisy if not more so than with worn gears.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, September 21, 2018 - 03:30 pm:

The so-called "square cut" gears are by nature somewhat noisy. If what you are used to is modern gears with either helical cut or other "modern" types of gears, all the early style transmissions will seem noisy by comparison. Be aware, in gear cutting technology, nearly everything manufactured after about 1930 is probably some sort of "newer" technology. Helical cut gears date back to the 1910s at least. However, "square" cut gear teeth remained common, even predominant, through the 1920s because they were easier to manufacture and required simpler (read that also as cheaper) machinery.
It is another example of how slow change tends to be. People were comparing what they had and were using against what they didn't have and couldn't use a decade before. The simpler (and cheaper) machine was such a huge improvement over what they had before that they were too busy enjoying the improvement to even notice the "being a bit noisy".

I have had several Ts with various models or combinations of Warford, Muncie, Universal, Ruckstell transmissions or gearings. However, I tend to like "old school" and hardly notice the noisy whines.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, September 21, 2018 - 10:33 pm:

My Warford can sure whine when wound up in underdrive high? :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration