LED lights all of the way around... Thank you

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: LED lights all of the way around... Thank you
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn-Colorado on Saturday, September 22, 2018 - 09:20 am:

A big thanks to those who helped me figure this out here on the forum. I have LED bulbs in the front and lights on the back now. I have running and brake lights to boot. These were taken in the morning. Plenty bright and safe now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Saturday, September 22, 2018 - 10:48 am:

Looks great. Safety trumps originality anyday

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris on Saturday, September 22, 2018 - 12:04 pm:

Please post the details of you light system.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eck Sheppard on Saturday, September 22, 2018 - 12:06 pm:

and where you got the nice LED bulbs please

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Saturday, September 22, 2018 - 12:25 pm:

Looks wonderful. Good job.

12 or 6 volt please? Inquiring minds want to know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill's Auto Works Wakeman, Ohio on Saturday, September 22, 2018 - 12:31 pm:

That is great! They are so much easier to see & much safer!

God Bless
Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Saturday, September 22, 2018 - 01:05 pm:

Source for the front lights PLEASE! Also... 6 or 12 volt?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Saturday, September 22, 2018 - 01:19 pm:

My 11 touring has LED's all the way around as your t. I run mine off a small motorcycle battery underneath the rear seat. Works good so far, only pulls about 200ma when turned on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis. Tomball Texas on Saturday, September 22, 2018 - 03:51 pm:

Mark. Looks good! What model year is Your truck.
DO You have Low and High beams.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Sunday, September 23, 2018 - 10:23 am:

Mark you have a captive audience here. If you don't care to post just p.m. your suppliers contact information

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Sunday, September 23, 2018 - 06:43 pm:

Ya Mark, I think there are several of us waiting for your info if you'd be so kind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Harmon on Sunday, September 23, 2018 - 07:48 pm:

I know I'm waiting to hear about it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn-Colorado on Sunday, September 23, 2018 - 07:55 pm:

Ok sorry I was busy with other projects since this post.

Bulbs in the headlights are from "Superbrightleds.com" Part number 1142-cw18-t. They are 2 pin and the pins on the sides are equal so they fit right into the T headlight socket just fine. I went with the cool white version.

I used most of the model T wiring up front however I did run a wire from each headlamp socket to the frame for a ground. To the casual observer the same 2 wires go up into the sockets. The wire going from one to the other supplies the power. These go up to the switch on the column and back down to a power bus bar I installed under the seat. Power to the bus bar comes from a small motor cycle battery which is also well grounded.

Power for the rear running lamps comes from a wire tied into the wire for the front lights so they all come on when the switch it turned on. ( I eliminated the low beam wire for now as well as the small unit attached to the firewall. I will wire that in later. I have a stop light switch which gets it power from the bus bar also and from there the wires go back to the LED's at the rear of the tuck. I plan to wire in the (FP) battery charge unit when I have the time, trying to get ready for an upcoming 5 day tour.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Sunday, September 23, 2018 - 08:14 pm:

Mark, are you running these on 6v?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn-Colorado on Sunday, September 23, 2018 - 08:26 pm:

12 Volt, makes a lot of light for sure. Jim, it is a 1918 roadster p/u. Did I answer all of the questions? My next post will be about top bows which I know some of you know a lot about.

Again thank you for this forum and all of the help that is offered here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn-Colorado on Sunday, September 23, 2018 - 08:28 pm:

Oh Guys, I have forgot to mention that I have very good grounds a 3 points on the truck and the headlamp sockets are new, makes life easier when doing things like this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Sunday, September 23, 2018 - 10:27 pm:

Thanks Mark!!

Good Luck on the tour

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Monday, September 24, 2018 - 06:47 pm:

I used the same LEDs when I did a complete rewiring job on my racer in 2010. I found them usable as DRL's but NOT good enough to be out driving at night with - not fast anyways. I just wanted my low profile racer to be more visible on the streets or highway in the daytime.

You can see the difference in beams on the floor. Left side of photo is incandescent and has a stronger light and better defined shadow on floor. The right side is LED. It may look brighter looking into the light, but you can see the difference on the floor. Again, these are perfect as DRL's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn-Colorado on Monday, September 24, 2018 - 09:50 pm:

Interesting, I will have to try it at night. Maybe I should have gone with the warm color instead. Were yours running off the mag or battery?

Also my headlamp buckets have the new chrome reflectors inside which seemed to help a lot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Monday, September 24, 2018 - 09:56 pm:

My reflectors are NOS inside large drum headlights - got lucky on eBay many years ago. The racer is all 12v - no magneto.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Monday, September 24, 2018 - 10:53 pm:

Don't forget your three oil lamps. I lit mine this morning as DRL's. Simple to use and it is surprising how the other drivers notice them.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 02:42 am:

Well, I'm doing it again,....it's late, and I'm tired, but accordingly, I guess I'll have to show my ignorance and ask,....what the heck are "DRL's"?

I'll probably feel stupid when somebody answers my question here,.....but,.....oh well! I hate acronyms! You guys should really use whole words for senile ol' duffers like me! ( :^)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 07:31 am:

Daylight Running Lights.

It's hard for us old guys to keep up with all the abbreviations being used in all of the different communication methods.

Good Luck,
Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn-Colorado on Monday, October 01, 2018 - 09:44 pm:

Ok as requested, I finally had a chance to check the lights out in the dark tonight. Not too bad at all. I will check on the road at night next chance I get but I like what I see, (12 volts).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Monday, October 01, 2018 - 10:31 pm:

Hip, Hip, Hurray for Harold :-) I guess we are the "baby boomer generation" where we still use whole words. Much easier understanding for us ol' farts !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Wilson - Omaha NE on Tuesday, October 02, 2018 - 08:42 am:

You will find a lot more options for LED's in 12V than 6V
A 6 to 12V convertor is a cheap easy to wire solution. They cost about $35 and are available from either eBay or Amazon. Mine is about 3" square, and about an inch deep. I mounted on the wood behind the firewall, under the floorboard. It has 4 wires 6V in hot and ground, and 12V out hot and ground. The grounds can be wired together.
I found a 16' LED tail light bar on Amazon for less than $20. It fits over the license plate, and functions a tail light, brake light, and turn signals. I used a trailer wiring harness I got at Menards to wire it. The light bar wiring is color to match the wiring harness. Turn signals are easy to wire, I mounted a toggle switch under the seat. I mounted an LED flasher from superbrightleds.com (about $9) with double sided tape next to it under the seat. I found sockets at NAPA that will snap into the cowl lights when you remove the burners that will use a standard bulb. I also bought a brake light flasher from superbright for $4. THe whole set up is very visable in the daylight
The only thing I have not found is a headlight bulb to fit the socket that gives off good light to see by. I usually don't drive the T when I need headlights, except for club meetings, and that is just a 3 mile trip on street lighted streets

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Tuesday, October 02, 2018 - 12:37 pm:

I got my 6 volt LED headlight bulbs from a fellow in Australia trading as Classic and Vintage Bulbs. The shipping made it rather costly, but they are working excellent, and I drive a lot at night. It is necessary to order them "earth specific". The negative ground versions are in my T and I have positive ground ones in my Model A and the Chandler. He is going to be at Hershey at C4R 12. I definitely plan to stop and get a few more for my other T's. I think they are around $30 each.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Tuesday, October 02, 2018 - 02:54 pm:

What about the motorcycle size halo angle eye LEDS put in the cowl lamps? That way you can have the best of both worlds.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration